Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #96

 The Frugal Five: #96


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks. One strategy is to keep dinner on the table instead of eating out. Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Errand Batching   


Gas prices are decreasing in my area, but they are still high and this is an area of our budget that we can only impact a little.     We still need to travel back and forth to work, school, and errands.    However, one way I can decrease the number of times I fill up at the gas pump is to batch my errands with everyday travel.   I pass by a pharmacy, drug stores, and a grocery store every day I go to work, so if we need something from one of these stores, I make a brief stop on my way home and the chore is done with little added gas consumption.  In addition, some things are cheaper at Costco, so I plan these trips twice a month to coincide with my need to fill up my gas tank.    This maximizes my savings.   What do you do to save on gas? 

   

2- Banana Muffins from free Bananas

I was able to pick up 4 more free bananas because they were getting too ripe to give to the kids.     So I made more banana muffins.  This time, I added walnuts to the mix because we have several bags in the freezer that I am trying to use up.    This was a quick breakfast for the family. 


3- Meal Planning 

Meal planning was essential this week because my husband was out of town for work.    I took this opportunity to cook the dishes my son enjoys.     We enjoyed Jambayala, Pasta, and Chicken and Rice Casserole.    In addition, I reduced my shopping this week and put a little more money aside for November sales.   (NOTE- The grocery sales were poor this week.) 


4- De-Cluttering  


De-cluttering may not seem very frugal, but it dramatically affects your mood and health.  I am taking 15-30 minutes daily to work on house cleaning and removing items we do not need or want anymore.    I will discard the items (if no one else can use them) or donate them to Goodwill.   Our home looks better and we feel less stressed.   

 


5- Spa Night

With the holiday season arriving, I am re-instituting Spa Night once a week.   My family always has something else to do on Friday nights, so that is my spa night.    I have face masks, deep hair moisturizers, nail polish and so much more to use from my self-care drawer.    It is time to get it out, use it, and enjoy some self-care time. 


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My entire year is attached below.    


Here is my list:

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...