Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #95

 The Frugal Five: #95


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks. One strategy is to keep dinner on the table instead of eating out. Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Pantry Cooking Once a Week   

I noticed that my family tends to eat out when I work late.     So we need to eat dinner at home again.   One strategy to reduce our grocery bill, I am committing to putting a pantry-cooking meal on the menu each week.    My boys went to an out-of-town swim meet last Saturday, so I used up some goat cheese and tortillas to make quesadillas.  I paired it with a salad to round out the meal and it was delicious.  Later this week, I will use multiple cans from the pantry to make vegetarian chili with cornbread for dinner.   

   

2- Hair Care Discount

Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge savings!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.   My hair salon has new owners, so I don’t know if they will be doing the traditional gift card sale, but I will be watching and asking each time I go to get my hair done.   


3- Freezer Clean Out


I have been using various items from my freezer this month, but have more to go.   It is time to clean out and organize my freezers to see what I have and create a plan to use the older items.   Since I shop the sales, the freezer acts like a bank to keep our costs at their lowest possible, but with a growing teen athlete, our bills are still higher than others.  


4- Working on the Brush Pile 


Our area had a big storm in October and we are still cleaning up from the event.  I had 5 big trees come down in our tree grove and it would have been at least $1000.00 to get a company to take care of them.    Instead, my husband has worked several hours each weekend, cutting the branches off and cutting up the trunk into smaller logs.     We are slowly bringing the wood and branches up the hill to cut up/discard or stack to season for next winter.      This is a slow process, but it is worth it.     

 


5- Decorating the House


It is time to start decorating the house for the winter.    Instead of going out and buying a lot of decorations, I am using what I already own and adding elements from our grove to make our home beautiful.     I will start with basic pumpkins and fall decor and move towards more Christmas items around Thanksgiving.   In addition, I have candles that smell incredible which I started burning last year, but they have a long way to go before I need to replace them.    I can do this because I purchase high-end candles when they are at their rock bottom price and save them.  


NOTE: IBOTTA’s bonus event starts today.    The slow and steady accumulation of the best deals over the month will help you reach whichever goal you’ve selected. 


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    September’s Free-bees are listed below. 


Here is my list:

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...