Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #94

 The Frugal Five: #94


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks. One strategy is to keep dinner on the table instead of eating out. Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Freebies  

Throughout the month, I was able to pick up freebies.   My grocery store has been offering store coupons on items throughout the month, so I took advantage of them. (bacon, bread, peanut butter, Bai, yogurt and so much more)   In addition, I received a free item (under $10.00) coupon from a local soap store.   I leveraged sales, coupons, and rebates from my local drugstore to pick up a few more items.   Finally, when there are perishables that will be bad within a few days, our school cafeteria will make them available for the staff.   I could pick up bananas and make banana chip muffins with them.    It was a nice treat. 


2- Gas Price Leverage 

This week gas prices varied by $0.40 per gallon.   I elected to drive about 3 miles out of my way to get a full tank of gas and saved $0.35 per gallon.    As a result, I saved $3.90.    I know this is under $5.00 but every little bit counts.    


3- Took Advantage of the Sales


We ran out of pre-packaged chips this week, but Kroger had a weekly sale on potato chips.    I bought 3 bags which will last at least 2 weeks.   In addition, I purchased 3 bags of cookies which should last at least 3 weeks.     We are still working on the items in the freezer, but our refrigerator is now under control. 


4- Cup of Joe from Home 

Every day I see my friends bringing in coffee cups from our local coffee shop and sometimes I feel a little jealous.   However, I remind myself that they are spending between $3.00 and $6.00 daily for that cup of joe.    I bring coffee from home and spend only $5.00 for the entire week and I drink a lot more coffee than they do.   


5- Free Bananas

Our cafeteria put out a lot of bananas last week because we went on our fall break.    I picked up several bananas and made 2 batches of banana chip muffins from what I had in the pantry.  My son was happy to have a grab-and-go breakfast for several days.    We are so grateful for everything we receive.  


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My entire year is attached below.    


Here is my list:

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...