Skip to main content

The Humble Egg

 The Humble Egg


Historically eggs are the cheapest type of protein.  However, due to bird flu, the price of eggs can get rather expensive and that is not when we eat a lot of them.     This has happened in the last year in my area, but now eggs have returned to a reasonable price and we can start consuming them on a regular basis again.   


** All egg recipes are linked to the pictures. 


Replacing meat with eggs or stretching a meal with eggs, will decrease the overall cost of your meal. 


Breakfast Sandwich

Our family is always pressed to leave the house in the morning, so having a portable breakfast sandwich available to us is essential to getting a good start to the morning.   That is along with our to-go cup of coffee.  


Omelet


Making an egg omelet with whatever cheese and vegetables are available for fillings makes a great breakfast or lunch.   We typically will make a three-egg omelet with vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, onions) and cheese (feta, cheddar, American).   



My husband and I used to go to a little French Bistro for breakfast and they made the best scrambled eggs.   Although I tried many different ways of making scrambled eggs, I just couldn’t get the texture correct.   Then, I discovered the secret is adding heavy cream to the eggs.  


Deviled Eggs


Eggs are not just for breakfast!   I take deviled eggs or egg salad for lunch on a regular basis.     The deviled or hard-boiled eggs replace the meat in my bento box lunches.   Sometimes, I even make an omelet or scrambled eggs for lunch when we have a lazy day at home on the weekend.  


How do you like to eat eggs?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...