The Humble Egg

 The Humble Egg


Historically eggs are the cheapest type of protein.  However, due to bird flu, the price of eggs can get rather expensive and that is not when we eat a lot of them.     This has happened in the last year in my area, but now eggs have returned to a reasonable price and we can start consuming them on a regular basis again.   


** All egg recipes are linked to the pictures. 


Replacing meat with eggs or stretching a meal with eggs, will decrease the overall cost of your meal. 


Breakfast Sandwich

Our family is always pressed to leave the house in the morning, so having a portable breakfast sandwich available to us is essential to getting a good start to the morning.   That is along with our to-go cup of coffee.  


Omelet


Making an egg omelet with whatever cheese and vegetables are available for fillings makes a great breakfast or lunch.   We typically will make a three-egg omelet with vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, onions) and cheese (feta, cheddar, American).   



My husband and I used to go to a little French Bistro for breakfast and they made the best scrambled eggs.   Although I tried many different ways of making scrambled eggs, I just couldn’t get the texture correct.   Then, I discovered the secret is adding heavy cream to the eggs.  


Deviled Eggs


Eggs are not just for breakfast!   I take deviled eggs or egg salad for lunch on a regular basis.     The deviled or hard-boiled eggs replace the meat in my bento box lunches.   Sometimes, I even make an omelet or scrambled eggs for lunch when we have a lazy day at home on the weekend.  


How do you like to eat eggs?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frugal Five: #64

Frugal Five: 33