Skip to main content

Deviled Eggs ($0.06 per serving)

Deviled Eggs ( $0.06 per serving) 


Deviled eggs are loved by so many people, but they are reserved for holidays, potlucks
or summer picnics.   This is one of my favorite things to bring to our church's coffee hour
because it produces a lot, is very reasonably priced and everyone eats them so I don’t
have to bring them home.   


Classic deviled egg recipes can be found all over the internet.  
For my recipe I started with the Food Network 
(https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/classic-deviled-eggs-recipe-1911032)
and adjusted it to our families tastes.    I hope you enjoy it. 


Ingredients: 


6 Eggs
¼  cup mayonnaise 
1- 1 ½ teaspoon vinegar (white or apple) 
1 - 1 ½ teaspoon mustard 
⅛ teaspoon Onion Powder
⅛ teaspoon Garlic Powder 
Salt and pepper to taste 
Directions:


Hard Boil the eggs and cool.
   

Peel eggs and rinse under cool water. Dry with paper towel. Slice eggs in half
lengthwise. Remove the yolk and place into a bowl and mash until crumble.





Place the egg whites on a serving platter or storage container.

Add the mayonnaise mixture, vinegar, mustard and spices to yolk crumbles and mix.





Use two spoons to fill each egg white half.

If you wan tto elevate the deviled eggs then sprinkle with paprika or a sprig of parsley.


NOTE
- Pickle brine can replace vinegar.  
- Mayonnaise can be replaced with a mixture of  mayonnaise and yogurt.
- For different flavors you can add bacon, avocados, other spices or fresh herb.  

~ Savings ~

Cost Breakdown:
6 Eggs ($0.99 per dozen or $0.0825 per egg) = $0.50
¼   cup mayonnaise ($2.29 for 30 oz) = $0.16
1- 1 ½ teaspoon vinegar (white vinegar $0.79 for 32 oz)= $0.01
1 - 1 ½ teaspoon mustard = $0.02
⅛ teaspoon Onion Powder
⅛ teaspoon Garlic Powder 
Salt and pepper to taste 
NOTE- Spices are less than $0.01 each so I’ll add $0.04

Total Recipe Cost = $0.73 for 12 Deviled Eggs
Cost per Deviled Egg = $0.06

The Contender:



I haven’t found one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...