Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #119

 


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet is decreasing. Therefore, we must be more careful with our money. The Frugal Five is a series that celebrates the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring ways to reduce costs during busy weeks. One strategy is to watch the pennies because they add up. Here are some of my tips and tricks.   


1- Putting the Gardens to Bed

It is time to pull and compost the garden’s plants, add compost, and cover the strawberries with straw.    This fall, I will add the leaves from our trees to the garden bed to decompose over the winter.    These few loving tasks will enhance my soil and help produce a higher garden yield next year.     


2- Our Rich Backyard - Deer Come Visiting

When we lived in Columbus, Ohio, our home was regularly visited by deer on their way to the pond located next to our yard. However, after we moved, the deer no longer came to our backyard.    I was a little sad because I thought we would have a lot of wildlife visiting us. 


However, our backyard was visited by a few deer this week.   It was wonderful to see them come into our yard, graze on the grass, and share their peaceful existence with us.  We were grateful for their visit and the peace that they brought with them.    

   

3-  Hair Care on a Budget

 

I cut my husband’s hair every two weeks, and we save $90.00 per month.   This job takes about 15 minutes, and his haircut is similar to a barber's cut.   On occasion, we will invest in a good pair of hair clippers, which pays for itself within a few cuts.   


Unfortunately, I need to visit the hairdresser to maintain my appearance.    Typically, people color their hair every 4 weeks, but they may stretch it out to 5 weeks.    The result is that I save about $150 every quarter.    In addition, to save on special hair treatments, I use drugstore products, which are routinely purchased on sale.     This helps keep my hair healthy and contributes to reduced haircuts.  

    

4- Takeout Fakeout

If we picked up Chinese Food from PF Changs, each portion would be at least $15.00.      However, we picked up 2 bags of PF Chang Beef and Broccoli from the freezer section- the cost $7.99 x 2 = $15.98.    We added some fresh broccoli for $1.91.    Then we paired it with a cup of Jasmine rice (2lb for $3.99).    The amount of rice we use costs only $0.89.   The final cost of the Takeout Fakeout Beef and Broccoli dinner is $18.78.   This dinner fed 3 adults and produced one container of leftovers for lunch.  The price per portion is  $4.70.    


** My apologies for the picture.    We were so hungry that we didn’t take a picture of the Beef and Broccoli, but here is another Chinese meal- Chicken and Broccoli.   


5-  Crockpot Cooking 

October is also known as Crocktober.  Last Sunday, the smells of my childhood wafted throughout our home.    I took the last of the tomato harvest, roasted them, and prepared Sunday gravy to top our chicken parmesan, pasta, to stir into pasta bakes, and so many more dishes.   


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?   The  2024 Free-Bee Summary has been posted.    If you missed it, then click on the link below.   The new Free-bee List will be coming this Wednesday. 


Here is my list:

Did you miss the last Frugal Five post?  No worries, click on the picture for the link.



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...