Skip to main content

Frugal Five: 118

 


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet is decreasing. Therefore, we must be more careful with our money. The Frugal Five is a series that celebrates the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring ways to reduce costs during busy weeks. One strategy is to watch the pennies because they add up. Here are some of my tips and tricks.   


1- Garden Harvest Preservation 

This year's harvest is finishing up with a few bits of produce.    I processed a large amount of tomatoes and peppers into tomato sauce and jalapeno poppers.   In addition, I am incorporating the garden’s carrots, onions, garlic, and dried spices into my meal plans.    


2- Our Rich Backyard - 

Our local artisans participate in a farmers' market each Saturday.    Currently, our market is outside our local library from 9:00-1:00.   After I finish with my students at the library, I walk through the market to see if I can find any deals.    Recently, I have been able to purchase large banana peppers for a great price and pickle them for the year.    I’m grateful to have such wonderful resources.        

   


3-  Packed Lunches

Each day, our family packs a lunch to take to school or work.    Since lunches cost about $15.00 per person, we save about $45.00 daily because we take a few minutes in the morning to pack our lunch.   


4- Coffee To Go 

Picking up Coffee daily can get quite expensive at about $5.00 a cup.   Instead, I choose to purchase good coffee from the grocery store and pack a to-go cup of coffee for myself and my husband daily.    After two days, we have paid for the coffee and creamer, and as a bonus, we have some money left over.   The coffee and creamer will last us for the whole month.    


5-  Crockpot Cooking 

October is also known as Crocktober.  We are enjoying old favorites such as soups, pulled meat sandwiches, sausage, and sauces.   This month, our family is trying out some more recipes, starting with Beef Stroganoff.    The long and slow cooking tenderizes the stew meat and incorporates the mushroom and onion flavors along with the spices.      When this dish is paired with egg noodles and a little sour cream, it is delicious.   


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?   The  2024 Free-Bee Summary has been posted.    If you missed it, then click on the link below.   The new Free-bee List will be coming this Wednesday. 


Here is my list:

If you want to see my last post, click on the picture for the link.



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...