Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #116

 


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet is decreasing. Therefore, we must be more careful with our money. The Frugal Five is a series that celebrates the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring ways to reduce costs during busy weeks. One strategy is to watch the pennies because they add up. Here are some of my tips and tricks.   


1- Garden Update 

The tomatoes are starting to produce a large number of green tomatoes, and the jalapeno plants have a bunch of small peppers.    The kale, basil, herbs, and yellow squash are still producing strongly.      The cucumbers are coming to an end, but I am pleased with the number of cucumbers I was able to get from 1 plant in my backyard.   I will most likely be growing one in that bed next year. It is time to succession sow my green beans.   


2- Our Rich Backyard 

I have been enjoying my coffee on the back porch and watching the birds each morning while writing my morning pages.   This process has helped me to tap into my creative side again.    It is a peaceful way to start each morning.     


3-  Little Library 


Little libraries are located around town and are small enclosed structures with used books inside.    The concept is that you can take or trade a book to read and then return it.  This is another great way to read a variety of different books and keep them out of the landfills.    


4- Take Out Fake Out 

We enjoy going out and trying a wide variety of food from different ethnic backgrounds.   However, we are working on curbing our dining out habit, so each week I research different recipes and try them.    Pizza is an easy meal to make as a take-out fake-out.    We experiment with grilling the pizza and a variety of different crusts and toppings.    This month, we have been experimenting with Chinese food.     We have tried: Moo Goo Gia Pan, Beef and Broccoli, Chicken and Broccoli, Wonton Soup, and Egg Rolls.   Some of the food is entirely from scratch, and others are made with premade grocery items.   


5-  Hair Cut Time 


I cut my husband’s hair every two weeks, and we save $90.00 per month.   This job takes about 15 minutes, and his haircut is the same as a barber cut.   On occasion, we will invest in a good pair of hair clippers, which pays for itself within a few cuts.   


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?   The  2024 Free-Bee Summary has been posted.    If you missed it, then click on the link below.   The new Free-bee List will be coming this Wednesday. 


Here is my list:

If you want to see my last post, click on the picture for the link.



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...