Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #115

 


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet is decreasing. Therefore, we must be more careful with our money. The Frugal Five is a series that celebrates the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring ways to reduce costs during busy weeks. One strategy is to watch the pennies because they add up. Here are some of my tips and tricks.   


1- Garden Update 


The harvest is starting to come in.   I have picked 3 large heads of cabbage, 3 pounds of carrots, kale, jalapeno peppers, chili peppers, banana peppers, and herbs (sage, chives, and oregano).   The kale was cleaned with stems removed.   Then we used it in salad and made kale chips.   We devoured one cabbage and wrapped the other 2 in plastic bags to keep in the refrigerator.    The rainbow carrots were trimmed, cleaned, wrapped in plastic bags, and kept in the crisper drawer.     I pickled one can of banana peppers.    


2- Our Rich Backyard 


We have enjoyed visiting with family, playing board games, attending lawn concerts, and watching the fireworks.    We savored wine spritzers while eating appetizers such as a cheese and cracker tray.  Finally, our screened-in porch was used daily, and we saw a variety of different wildlife that inhabit our wooded area.  


3-  Free Bees Galore 


This week I was able to find a lot of free bees.    There were 2 different photo deals.    In addition, CVS had sales, coupons, and ECB on Crest products (toothpaste and toothbrush) and CoverGirl Cosmetics.      I was able to pick up 7 items for free.         


4- Library Benefits 


I took advantage of our local library by using one of their conference rooms to meet with my tutee.   I borrowed TV series and books for entertainment, and non-fiction books on my new diet.       Access to our library has saved a lot of money over the years.     


5-  Planted Grass instead of buying Sod


When we updated our back porch, the machines created bare spots in several areas of our lawn. Purchasing sod was very expensive, so we opted to reseed the bare spots, water with loving care, and grow grass ourselves.    The grass is coming in nicely.    


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?   The  2025 Free-Bee Summary has been posted.    If you missed it, then click on the link below.  


Here is my list:

If you want to see my last post, click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...