Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #114

 


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet is decreasing. Therefore, we must be more careful with our money. The Frugal Five is a series that celebrates the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring ways to reduce costs during busy weeks. One strategy is to watch the pennies because they add up. Here are some of my tips and tricks.   


1- Garden Update 


The garden is growing and looks great!   The final picking of the peas has arrived.   The plants have been pulled out, and dried peas have been harvested to finish drying for next year's planting.  Some onions were flowering, so they needed to be pulled and processed for immediate use.     Kale plants have been trimmed and made into kale chips.  Several carrots are ready for harvesting, cleaning, and wrapping for preservation.   Finally, I picked basil, parsley, sage, and oregano to dry for use over the next year.    


I am expecting a bumper tomato crop, so it is time to plan for their preservation.    I am considering preserving ketchup, BBQ sauce, crushed tomatoes, salsa, and dehydrated tomatoes.   


2- Our Rich Backyard 

This week, the 4th of July holiday is observed, so many community events are free to attend.    We have enjoyed several concerts, fireworks, and family fun.    In addition, backyard games and relaxing on the patio.   We enjoy summer breezes and watching the night sky.   


3-  Eating Alfresco 


During the summer, we enjoy eating in our screened-in patio while listening to the sounds of nature or music.    Eating outside elevates the dining experience, and families linger a little longer at the dinner table.       


4- Wine Spritzer 


Last Christmas, my husband experimented with making a batch of wine.    It was a wonderful gift and produced roughly 24 bottles of wine.      Throughout the year, we have gifted bottles to friends and family, but my new obsession with this wine is “spritzers”.     We have discovered that a few flavors of seltzer water mixed with his Elderberry Wine produces a refreshing wine spritzer, which I enjoy regularly.    As a bonus, it pairs the wine with a lower-cost beverage, resulting in a delicious drink.    


5-  Art on a Budget 


I still have a few areas of the house that could use a little art.  When Michael’s has a sale on frames→ Buy 1 Get 2 Free, I pick up 3 frames for pictures that I have collected over the last few months.    I used coupon codes for Walgreens or CVS to get 8x10 photos for free.  When combining the free photo deal with the frame sale, I can display 3 Framed Photos (11 X 14) for $20.00.  


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?   The  2024 Free-Bee Summary has been posted.    If you missed it, then click on the link below.   The new Free-bee List will be coming this Wednesday. 


Here is my list:

Do you want to see my last post?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...