Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #104

 


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet is decreasing. Therefore, we must be more careful with our money. The Frugal Five is a series in which we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring ways to reduce costs during busy weeks. One strategy is to cook dinner at home instead of eating out. Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Sheet Pan Fajitas

Instead of getting 2 plates of Fajitas at our local Mexican Restaurant for $17.00 each,  I make an at-home version for much cheaper and less time than it takes to eat at the restaurant.      To make sheet pan Fajitas, I combine 1 pound of sliced chicken, sliced onions, and peppers with oil and taco seasoning, then bake it at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.    I add tortillas, salsa, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream.     So, for about $10.00 our family had 3 plates of fajitas.     


2- Take Advantage of Freebies


This week several freebies came across my phone.      I got an 8x10 photo, 2 packets of cheese, green pepper, hummus, and a Kinder chocolate (1.8oz) for free after deals, coupons, and rebate apps.   I am grateful for being able to pick up food deals that we will eat.   This helps us keep our grocery budget in check. 


3- Baking 

This week we made a batch of muffins for a grab-and-go breakfast.   In addition, we experimented with a peanut butter cookie that was low in carbs and sugar.    It was a nice treat for our family members with dietary needs.   


4- Securing a Photo for the Office

I am redecorating my office area and looking for unique items for my space.    I enjoy gardens, sculptures, and antiques.  I already have antiques and art pieces that hold precious memories for me displayed.  I am going through my photographs looking for the right pictures to display.  My long-term goal is to rotate the photographs and freshen up my space by season.


Pro Tip→ I photograph interesting sculptures from my travels and have them printed each time I receive a photo code from my local CVS or Walgreens.   My frames typically come from Michaels when they have a buy 1 get 2 sale.    Then, I frame them for display.  This week I picked up an 8X10 Photo from Walgreens for free.   


5- Packing Lunch

Our family packs their lunch daily and avoids the takeout trap.    Our family will pack leftovers.   Since we already purchased the ingredients, no additional cost is incurred for this meal.    If leftovers are not an option, our options include: sandwiches, salad, soup, or bento box meals.   These are all low-cost options.  


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?   The  2024 Free-Bee Summary has been posted.    If you missed it, then click on the link below. 


Here is my list:

Do you want to see my last post?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...