Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #101



With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks. One strategy is to keep dinner on the table instead of eating out. Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Take Out from the Kitchen  

Fridays are difficult for us to stay away from takeout.     Previously, I would make pizza every Friday, but due to dietary restrictions, I have not been making pizza.     However, I picked up Keto Wheat Flour at a reduced price.     This past Friday, I made pizza for the family and everyone loved it.   So, I went to the same grocery store and picked up 3 more bags.    It looks like pizza is back on the menu.  

2- Free Food 

Last week our school put out bananas on Friday for anyone to take because they were very ripe and would need to be thrown away by the next week.  Since there were a lot of bananas, I picked out 4 bananas to make banana chip muffins.     It was a nice treat for the family.    


3- Free Trade Show


There was a trade show in our area for the last two weekends.    We received free tickets because we were on their mailing list.    Since we have several major home projects that need to be addressed, we go each year and investigate the cost and options to address these projects.     We save monthly for these projects, but only select projects that provide a monetary advantage and that we have the money to pay for them outright.   


4- Garden Preparation

The community garden will open before you know it.     We have a planning meeting and will plant seeds for our starter plants soon.    I have taken some time this week to plan out our garden.   I have pared down the plants we will be planting so that they will get good airflow and produce a greater yield.  In addition, I have a list of preservation ideas to maximize our garden yield.      


5- Shopping Multiple Stores


Shopping the loss leaders at multiple stores makes sense when the stores are very close together.   The major grocery stores, including Aldi, are very close together.    I shopped at 3 stores this week for the great deals and our weekly supplies.   My favorite deal is the bone-in ham for $0.79 per pound.   I picked up 2 hams originally over $20.00 each for about $5.00 each.  I plan to make ham slices, ham with green beans, egg casserole w/ ham, deli ham slices, and ham sliders.   Each ham will create many meals for our family.     


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?   The  2024 Free-Bee Summary has been posted.    If you missed it, then click on the link below. 


Here is my list:

Do you want to see my last post?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Planning #132

Our meals need to be nutritious, clean, flexible, quick and cost effective. Between our work schedules and after school activities, we need to carefully plan our meals so that we do not end up ordering out.   The news is very scary at this time because of all the news of meat plants shutting down, grocery stories limiting the amount of meat a family can purchase and all of the talk about a depression on the horizon.    We have decided to keep our grocery budget the same, but to economize any way we can.     This week we tried to pick up some shrimp that was on sale, but the store was out of shrimp and not expecting to get any more in.    We were grateful to find wild caught salmon for the same price, so we picked that up instead for our Mother’s Day Dinner.    What did we spend?  Week 1: $96.44 Kroger: $96.44 Rebates: $3.55 IBOTTA: $1.35 Kroger Cash: $0.45 Checkout 51: $1.75 ...

Living Large In The Cheap Seats- April 16

Living Large In the Cheap Seats is starting to look a little different given the current state of crisis the world is experiencing.   The fact that we are being asked to limit our exposure to groups of people larger than 10 people really impacts our ability to get out and enjoy various local experiences.   Therefore going out in public is of a low priority in our household for the time being. However, we are hoping to change that come late spring/early summer. Therefore, I am going to focus on incorporating a little Hagge into my life with a few Small Group (aka family based) activities, Virtual Activities and things you can do now in order to secure more fun for the warmer months.   Well- hopefully.  Add a Little Hygge into your life: So, what is Hygge?  Hygge is defined as “a quality of coziness and comfortable cheerfulness that causes a feeling of contentment or well-being.”   I believe that Hygge is living a simpler li...

Keeping Cool without an AC- Part 2

  The news is full of headlines indicating that energy shortages are on the horizon for most of the world. Over the decades, we have become reliant on the coolness of our air conditioners and have forgotten how we survived without them. It is now time to rediscover how to stay cool without our AC. Our 5 part series provides ideas on how to beat the heat this summer without the AC.     Water to the Rescue Sweating is the body's natural defense to combating the heat, so staying hydrated is essential to maintaining your core temperature. I enjoy drinking ice-cold drinks in the summer. Keeping your drinks to water or herbal tea is also helpful.    Since your blood flows close to the surface of your feet, ankle and toes, cooling down this area is helpful to cool your entire body. I like to soak my feet in a shallow bowl with a cool herbal water mix. My mix includes Epsom salts, eucalyptus, and/or peppermint oils.    Taking a cold shower and g...