Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #97

 The Frugal Five: #97


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks. One strategy is to keep dinner on the table instead of eating out. Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Free Bee Pick Up    


I picked up a pack of Kroger Cheese Slices (8 ct) and Private Selection Hummus (10 oz) via Kroger Store Coupon. I was also given several apples and bananas, which I turned into banana bread and an apple crisp. Finally, CVS provided an opportunity to pick up Colgate Toothpaste and Colgate Mouthwash. 


2- Packing Lunches Daily 

Lunches cost about $15.00 per lunch, and they are satisfying.  On Monday, I packed a delicious salad with steak and a piece of garlic bread.   On Tuesday,  I dined on soup and half a sandwich with fruit.     On Wednesday, I  had a roast beef wrap, raw vegetables with dips, and a piece of fruit.     On Thursday, I took a bento box filled with meat, cheese, crackers, and fruit.    Finally, I packed a ham and cheese wrap, pickle, and Cheese It on Friday. 


3- Coffee To Go

Many of my colleagues purchase coffee from a local coffee house multiple times a week.    Regular coffee costs $5.00 per cup,  so it costs them between $10 and $15.00 each week.    I chose to brew my coffee at home and bring a to-go mug daily.   Since I pick up delicious Starbucks coffee (on sale) or German coffee, It costs me under $6.00 a week.  


4- Meat Sales


This week Sausage and Ground Beef was on sale at the grocery store.   We were low on both types of meat, so I picked up the maximum amount permitted.   Since I purchased them at a 33% discount, this will help to keep our grocery budget in check. 


5- Returned Item to Costco


Normally we pick up a 3-pack of guacamole for under $10.50 at Costco.   That comes to just $3.50 for a 10 oz container or $0.35 per ounce.     Unfortunately, after I got home, I discovered that one of the containers of guacamole was not sealed properly and leaked everywhere.   I returned it to Costco for a full refund.   Costco is great for returns.     However, the lines were long, so I went to the local grocery store for a container of guacamole.  My husband’s favorite brand was on sale for $3.99 for a 12 oz container or $0.33 per ounce, so I picked up a few. 


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My entire year is attached below.    


Here is my list:wa

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...