Skip to main content

Soup 101

 Soup 101


Fall has finally arrived in my neck of the woods.  With the cooler weather coming in a nice hot bowl of soup makes for a great meal!   As a bonus, it is also very frugal and helps to reduce food waste.    Each week starting in the fall, I cook up a huge pot of soup to have for dinner one night and lunches for the next several days.       


** All soup recipes are linked to the pictures. 


How can this humble meal save you money? 

Prior to menu planning for the week, I take a look in my refrigerator to see which items need to be used up and would be good in a soup.   Then I make a soup that incorporates the majority of the items.   Finally, I add a little bit of ingredients from the freezer or pantry and the soup is ready.   Since I had already purchased the majority of the ingredients needed for the soup, I was able to feed my family for no added cost.    


Taco Soup

I can usually cobble together enough ingredients to make taco soup.    This is a family favorite and so easy to make with a crock pot.    There are only a few fresh ingredients and you can use leftover ground beef, turkey or shredded chicken can be used as the protein.   If you do not have any of these proteins left over, then add some lentils from the pantry.    The other ingredients I look for in my refrigerator are peppers, onions, cheese, and corn.   The rest of the ingredients are pantry items that I normally have on hand.     

Potato or Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Potato soup is another staple recipe that I count on.    If I have leftover potatoes or broccoli, it is time to look towards either potato soup or broccoli cheese soup.   I add a little onion, celery, and stock to the pot and start the process of creating soup.     We always have a little cheddar in the freezer and that makes a great topping to the soup.   If you have bacon and/or green onions, then they would be great too.   


Minestrone Soup

Minestrone soup is another classic soup that uses up a lot of vegetables from the refrigerator.   When I have a variety of different vegetables left over such as zucchini,  green beans, broccoli, potatoes, etc., I create a pot of minestrone soup.    With a little stock and spices from the pantry and possibly some pasta, the soup is on the table in no time.  


What is your favorite soup to make on a cool fall night?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...