Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #67

 The Frugal Five: #67


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


1- Garden Harvest

Our garden is producing a lot of food at this point in time.   We needed to pick, preserve, and clean up our garden area every week.   This week we picked copious amounts of tomatoes for gravy and salsa.     My plan is to have enough tomatoes for the year.    I am counting the amount I put up this year and how much I use in order to plan for next year's garden.   In addition, I will be researching and planning out next year’s garden this winter.   I want to fix some of my errors and re-arrange my beds to maximize my harvest while keeping it looking neat and easy to pick.     


2- Canning Gravy and Salsa

 

My husband and I were able to put up cans of gravy (XX) and salsa (XX) this weekend. This effort will help me to cut my food budget over the next year. 


3- Used Store Coupons


 

I was lucky to receive a free eggs and raspberry coupon from 2 different grocery stores and this week I cashed them in.   In addition, I was able to print 2 coupons for a free box of Chickpea pasta.     It isn’t a lot but I will use what I get.      


4- Packing Lunches and Coffee Daily 

Each day we pack our lunches and coffee to take to work.   This saves us a lot of money because we do not order out.     Since I pack our lunches every Sunday, it is easy to just grab and go in the morning.      This is important because our son has swim practice at 5:20 every morning.     

     

5- Cleaned out the Refrigerator and Shopped Loss Leaders


We had a lot of leftover vegetables, fruit, and dairy from last week, so I shopped my refrigerator and pantry this week to lower my grocery bill.   In addition, my store had a few great loss leader sales.    I already had a lot of chicken in the freezer, but I picked up some anyway because the price was so low.    This week, we grilled a lot of chicken on Sunday and that is the main lunch item this week.     To put things into perspective --> Deli Turkey costs $13.50 per pound and Chicken this week is $1.99 per pound.      My boys will have extra meat this week for their lunches.    


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My August was a little weak, because of how busy our life has been.     September is already better than August, so I am confident of making my goals this year.    


Here is my list: 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...