The Frugal Five: #67

 The Frugal Five: #67


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


1- Garden Harvest

Our garden is producing a lot of food at this point in time.   We needed to pick, preserve, and clean up our garden area every week.   This week we picked copious amounts of tomatoes for gravy and salsa.     My plan is to have enough tomatoes for the year.    I am counting the amount I put up this year and how much I use in order to plan for next year's garden.   In addition, I will be researching and planning out next year’s garden this winter.   I want to fix some of my errors and re-arrange my beds to maximize my harvest while keeping it looking neat and easy to pick.     


2- Canning Gravy and Salsa

 

My husband and I were able to put up cans of gravy (XX) and salsa (XX) this weekend. This effort will help me to cut my food budget over the next year. 


3- Used Store Coupons


 

I was lucky to receive a free eggs and raspberry coupon from 2 different grocery stores and this week I cashed them in.   In addition, I was able to print 2 coupons for a free box of Chickpea pasta.     It isn’t a lot but I will use what I get.      


4- Packing Lunches and Coffee Daily 

Each day we pack our lunches and coffee to take to work.   This saves us a lot of money because we do not order out.     Since I pack our lunches every Sunday, it is easy to just grab and go in the morning.      This is important because our son has swim practice at 5:20 every morning.     

     

5- Cleaned out the Refrigerator and Shopped Loss Leaders


We had a lot of leftover vegetables, fruit, and dairy from last week, so I shopped my refrigerator and pantry this week to lower my grocery bill.   In addition, my store had a few great loss leader sales.    I already had a lot of chicken in the freezer, but I picked up some anyway because the price was so low.    This week, we grilled a lot of chicken on Sunday and that is the main lunch item this week.     To put things into perspective --> Deli Turkey costs $13.50 per pound and Chicken this week is $1.99 per pound.      My boys will have extra meat this week for their lunches.    


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My August was a little weak, because of how busy our life has been.     September is already better than August, so I am confident of making my goals this year.    


Here is my list: 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frugal Five: #64

Frugal Five: 33

The Humble Egg