Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #66

The Frugal Five: #66


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


1- Discount on Hair Care

My salon is running a special on the purchase of gift cards.    For every $100 you spend, they add $20.    Since I get my hair colored on a regular basis and the price is going up on October 1st, it is important to take advantage of all the discounts.    


In addition, I cut my husband’s hair which saves us about $35.00 twice a month.    It normally takes about 15 minutes and is well worth my time.       


2- Discounts on Gas

 

With traveling to work, school, tutoring, and swimming, I need to fill up my tank with gas at least once a week.  I always check the gas prices along my natural route and use Gas Buddy to check prices.   Then I utilize the lowest price coupled with my discounts to leverage the best value.   This past week I saved almost $12.00 because my tank was extremely low and I saved $1.00 off of the lowest price in the area.    These little tricks add up over the year to save a lot of money.  


3- Discount Groceries

 

At the beginning of every month, I get coupons from my grocery stores for free items.    Several photo codes are renewed each month from CVS or Walgreens, so we can print our pictures for free.   In addition,   I was able to sign up for samples over the past month, which will be coming in the mail shortly.   Finally, I was able to get a few new product coupons to print for free products.    


4- Discount Gifts 


This month I was able to print a few 5X7 photos and one 8x10 photo to frame and give as gifts to our friends.    In addition, I picked up a set of 6 cards that feature one of my photos.    This will make a great gift.     Finally, I was able to get several items of make-up to create beauty bags for my friends. 

     

5- Discount Workout


I do not need to go to a fancy gym to work out and get fit.   I have a lot of parks to pick from with nature trails to walk.    In addition, there are a lot of YouTube videos that guide you through workouts, yoga, and meditation.  Finally, I use my body weight to strengthen my core, arms, and legs. 


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My August was a little weak, because of how busy our life has been.     September is already better than August, so I am confident of making my goals this year.    


Here is my list: 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.

The

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...