Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #64

 The Frugal Five: #64


With inflation on the rise and salaries being unable to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


1- Free Wood Pick-Up


My son practiced his driving by going with my husband to pick up free wood this week.   We cut the wood up into different size pieces for use in the fireplace this winter.  Since we kept and process the wood from our fallen trees and were able to pick up this wood, I expect that we will not need to purchase wood for a few years.    


2- Gourmet Lunches


This is my first week back to work and I need to be prepared.    The alarm is set and I am putting into place several new nightly routines to make my life a little easier in the morning.    One of these routines is to prepare lunches for the week.     This week eggs and block cheese were on sale for a great price, so I took advantage of the sales and made bento boxes for lunch.     This week’s bento box included hardboiled eggs, block cheese, cracker-cut salmi, cucumbers, and cherries.    We had cucumbers and cherries left over from last week’s great fruit and vegetable sales to use up and they fit in great.    So for no more than an additional $3.00 of groceries, I was able to pack 5 awesome lunches for work.   


  3- Sandwiches and Crockpot to the Rescue


This week I have several nights where I will not be home with enough time to cook, so I planned for it.   One night my family will have sandwiches and another night we will have crockpot tacos.     We will also have our standard Leftover night.      Welcome back to another school year of quick and easy dinners. 

 

4- Breakfast was Provided  2 days


At the beginning of each year, the faculty is provided with breakfast on at least one day.  This year we were given two days.    On these days, I make sure not to eat at home and bring my coffee, because coffee is not always provided.    Yes→ you do not want to see me without my morning coffee.   The PTO provided breakfast on the first teacher day of school and another elementary school hosted the second day.     I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to enjoy breakfast with my colleagues.    


5- Cut my Husbands hair again 


This week, my husband didn’t wait for me and cut most of his hair himself, but it still needed a little bit of love in the back and on top.   I was happy to trim up his hair.   


Haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband gets it cut from a professional.    We invested in a clipper and trimmer and have never looked back.   His cut is very easy and takes only about 10 minutes to complete.     Ten Minutes of work yields about $35.00 in savings every other week.    

  


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    July is rebounded with 27 items, so I am confident of making my goals this year.    Here is my list: 

August- September  2023- Living Large in the Cheap Seats is out.   Our area is rich in artistic events.   It has free concerts, movies, and museum events to take in.  There are events for all ages and interests.     


Check out all of the free or cheap things to do in the Cincinnati area or just for ideas of where to look for free/cheap things in your area. Check back next week for the August-September 2023: Living Large in the Cheap Seats Post. 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...