Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #65

 The Frugal Five: #65



With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


1- Free-Bee Haul 

I have been super busy with work lately, so I haven’t had time to focus on picking up free-bees.   This weekend I decided to take a little time to do some research and it paid off in a large way.     This weekend I was able to score 17 items and counting.   I am feeling blessed and happy.        


2- Lunches from the Refrigerator

 

We have yogurt and eggs in the refrigerator that need to be used up, so this week I am having egg salad and yogurt for lunch.    I will round it out with a little fruit for a healthy lunch.    


3- Beverages from Home

 

We make our coffee each morning and take a travel mug to work instead of stopping by Starbucks.     In addition, my husband was spending about $2.00 a day on soda, so each time that soda or seltzer water went on sale, I picked up a few cases.   He now takes a soda or two with him every day and stays away from the vending machine.    This has reduced our out-of-pocket expenses.    


4- Crockpot Dinner 


This school year has proven to have a rocky start, so we have been ordering out a little too much.     This week, I dusted off the crockpot and created a cook once, eat twice menu.   In addition, we will have one night that will be a leftover or sandwich night.     With these changes, I am hoping that it will prevent us from ordering out this work week.       


5- September Re-Set 


I need to have a more streamlined home and work, so I decided to do a reset over the long weekend.    With a clean house, laundry caught up, my to-do list greatly reduced, and meal preparations completed,   I am ready to face the work week.   


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My August was a little weak, because of how busy our life has been.     September is already better than August, so I am confident of making my goals this year.    


Here is my list: 


August- September 2023- Living Large in the Cheap Seats is out.   Our area is rich in artistic events.   It has free concerts, movies, and museum events to take in.  There are events for all ages and interests.     


Check out all of the free or cheap things to do in the Cincinnati area or just for ideas of where to look for free/cheap things in your area. Check back next week for the August-September 2023: Living Large in the Cheap Seats Post. 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...