Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #32

The Frugal Five: #32


With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up,

it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with

our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily

or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


Last week was a little hard to get anything accomplished, so I needed

to give myself grace.   Although I did try to be as frugal as possible, I

also needed to keep my life together.    


1- Cooked at Home ALL Week

Wow!   I did it!   I am super busy with working full time and my son’s 

activities and I still made dinner for the family each night.   I took a little

extra time this week to meal plan, meal prepped on Sunday and utilized

a little grace on Thursdays with sandwich night.  In addition, I planned

out next week’s meals for another easy week.     


2- Homemade Coffee Creamer 



A few weeks ago, I picked up 2 different flavors of coffee syrup,

but struggled with how to use it.   At first I just put it in my coffee, but the

flavor was too strong and I didn’t have a positive experience.    However,

this week, I decided to mix it with milk to create a coffee creamer.     After

a little experimentation, I came up with about 2 tablespoons per

creamer pitcher.            


3- Took Advantage of Grocery Sales

& stayed w/i $200

Meijer’s weekly sale included a buy 7 for $7.00.   This deal included so

many things we normally purchase and pay a lot more than $1.00.    I

decided to set aside $20.00 out of my budget and picked up that many

items for my pantry.       I love finding things at rock bottom prices.   


4- Homemade stock for Chicken

Noodle Soup


Small cans of chicken stock cost $1.00 each and larger containers cost

about $2.00.   Since I had roasted chicken on the menu last week, I took

the bones, a variety of vegetable ends (saved in the freezer), added water,

spices and cooked it in the crock pot all day to create bone broth. This

created 6 cups of broth from leftovers.    


5- Use Gas Hacks 

   


I combined using GasBuddy w/ my Kroger Points to save $0.60 per gallon.  

This resulted in a savings of $6.60 this week.    It is not a lot, but every little

bit helps, especially for essential purchases.   


Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 


Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...