Skip to main content

The Frugal Five #4

 The Frugal Five

With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily or weekly activities that help us to live a frugal life.    



1- Utilized Gas Apps 


Gas prices have been increasing daily and with the new restriction of purchasing Russian gas, I anticipate that prices will continue to rise to unprecedented levels.  Therefore, what things can we do to limit the impact on our lives?    When purchasing gas, I use various apps and reward programs to lower the ever-increasing gas prices.    GasBuddy tells me the gas prices in the area where I am located.   My experience has been good, but others have gone to specific stations based on the reported prices only to be disappointed.   In order to increase my success, I look at the last reported timestamp and only use prices that are less than 5 hours old.   In addition, I stack with BP’s rebate program to maximize my savings.   As a teacher, I receive an additional $0.15 off per gallon.  If a BP isn’t in the area or the price isn’t the best price after discounts, then I will look for a Kroger station and utilize my fuel points to lower my gas price.   I estimate that I save between $3.00 and $10.00 per week.   


2- Grocery Budget: Fruit by the Serving 

When I am shopping for our weekly fruit choices, I look at all of the fruit sales and usually low price fruits to see which fruit will provide us with the lowest price per serving.  For example, this week I picked up a 3 lb. bag of gala apples, which usually has 10 apples in it.   If the cost of the bag is $4.99, the price per serving is $0.50.  However, my son loves strawberries and they are on sale for $1.57 per lb.    One pound has 4 servings in it, thus the price per serving is $0.39.   Since the sale limit is 5, I picked up 5 lb.   Whatever we will not use this week, I’ll freeze for smoothies.    


3- Hygge: Add soft light to your life

Over the years I have accumulated a variety of candles and try to add them to my decor in order to produce a warm and cozy home environment.   The soft warm light softens any mood and is relaxing.     


4- Baking: Baked Potatoes



In order to have lunches prepared for the week, I took some time on Sunday to bake 5 potatoes for the week.   I then divided them into 5 dishes and added a little butter and cheese.    In a separate container, I added sour cream.    This is a quick, easy, and very economical way to prepare 5 lunches for the week.  Given that a bag of potatoes has a variety of sizes and therefore, I estimate that each 5 lb. of potatoes yields 10 lunches.   This week the 5 lb. bags of potatoes cost $3.99 thus after adding cheese and sour cream, the main part of my lunch comes in under $0.50 per day.    I just round it out with a little fruit of cut vegetables and my meal comes in under $1.00 per day.              


5- Traveling Hack


Our son has earned spots in various swim meets across our state and sometimes it requires that we stay overnight.   In order to keep costs down, we try to limit our eating out.  This time our budget hotel room didn’t come with breakfast but had complimentary coffee in the morning.   We brought our own travel coffee mugs to fill each morning and picked up yogurt, and fruit at the local grocery store for breakfast.  In addition, instead of eating out, we would pick up deli meat, cheese, and rolls for sandwiches or frozen meals for dinner.   This prevented us from a high meal cost.    


Do you have any frugal strategies to share?    

Please leave a comment below.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...