Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #108

 


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet is decreasing. Therefore, we must be more careful with our money. The Frugal Five is a series in which we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


I am exploring ways to reduce costs during busy weeks. One strategy is to watch the pennies because they add up. Here are some of my tips and tricks.   


1- Garden Set Up Continues


There is compost available, so I topped my garden bed.   In addition, I planted my onion and garlic sets.  I also started previously saved seeds for my small backyard bed.  Another job done!   


2- Free-Bee Alert


Meijer’s Perks had Ice Cream available from their coupon selection, so I spent 1500 points for an Ice Cream coupon.    My son will be happy with this decision.          


3- Staying Away from Takeout

Our family tends to become exhausted by the end of the work week, so we hit the easy button and eat out.    This week, I found a packet of lunchmeat prepackaged to make hoagies.  I plan to stop and pick up some rolls on Friday after work, and everyone will make their hoagie.      


4- Low-Cost Breakfasts



Here is another Low-Cost Breakfast.     A 10-oz box of Cheerios costs $4.29, but I picked up 3 boxes for $1.79 per box with a store coupon.   Then I used a $1.50 off of 3 boxes to lower the cost to $1.29.  Earlier in the month, I purchased 5 boxes of Honey Boxes of Oats for $1.69 each.   Then I submitted to IBOTTA for $1.25 back, which reduced the price to $0.44.   



If you want more ideas, check out my Breakfast for under a $1.00 post.   Click on the picture above for the link. 


5-  Avoid the Snack Isle


The price of salty and sweet snacks has dramatically increased.   I was shocked that a bag of chips or cookies is over $5.00 each.   So, I dusted off my mixer and baked a cake to top with strawberries for our dessert.     This will last the entire week,  and we made the dessert for less than $3.00.    Since this lasted us all week, it is a much better deal than a bag of cookies that lasts only a few days.   


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?   The  2024 Free-Bee Summary has been posted.    If you missed it, then click on the link below. 


Here is my list:

Do you want to see my last post?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...