Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #90

 The Frugal Five: #90


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


This week I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks.    Keeping dinner on the table instead of eating out is one of my strategies to get the job done.    Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Packing Lunches

Packing your lunch daily can save a lot of money and help prevent food waste in your kitchen.   My husband and I will pack leftovers or simple lunches made from the ingredients in our refrigerator and panty.   We find that being prepared with our lunches helps us to avoid ordering out.  


2- Hair Care

Hair cuts cost at least $30.00 per person + Tip.    However, during COVID I learned to cut my husband’s hair and save $60.00 + Tip per month.     My son will get his hair cut once per month.  This month my gift card balance is running low; thus I will be looking for a gift card deal at my salon.   In addition, I find hair products of equal quality at local big box stores.   The prices have already decreased because it is not a salon and I can leverage their sales and coupons.   For example, I use Verb Hair Oil to help with my dry hair.   However, I found an equivalent Hair Oil at my local CVS for $2.00 after sales and coupons.  This saved me over $18.00 because the price was reduced, and the amount in the bottle was more.       


3- Upgrading Your Water

Many people are dehydrated and do not even know it.    I have been drinking a lot of different beverages, but not water.    I have noticed my skin is drying out and wrinkling.     Frankly, I don’t like the taste of water, but I can change that for very little money.    I picked up a lemon, lime and orange at my grocery store for under $3.00.    I sliced them up and add them to my water each day.    This amount of fruit will last at least 2 weeks, so for $1.50 a week, I have a wonderful and healthy drink.   


4- Temperatures are Starting to Drop

Although Fall officially started on September 22, 2024, the temperatures are warm and inviting.    However, the temperatures will drop soon enough, so I am taking this opportunity to prepare for the lower temperatures.    I have taken stock of my teas (there are plenty), got out my warm blankets, restacked my firewood (for that chilly night) and started to plan for all the crock pot dishes to put on the table for October.  I am prepared for the fall season.    


5- Donating Unwanted or Unused Items


Our family has started to clear out our basement and other areas of our home.   When we moved, we downsized but didn’t purge our extra furniture, clothes that do not fit, old cushions, etc.    We have decided to de-clutter our home and donate those items to local thrift stores.   These items are still good, even if we won’t use them, someone else can.   Finally, we will get a tax write-off.    


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My entire year is attached below.    


Here is my list:

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...