Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #89

 The Frugal Five: #89


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


This week I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks.    Keeping dinner on the table instead of eating out is one of my strategies to get the job done.    Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Free-Bee’s for your Birthday

August is my birthday month, so I have been lucky to receive several free items from various stores.    I received coupons for free food at the following restaurants: Chick-fil-A, Jimmy Johns, Krispy Kreme, and Starbucks.     I also received a coupon for a free item from Bath and Body.   CVS gave me $3.00 in ECB, and Meijers gave me a 5% on 1 order this month.  


2- Every Little Bit Counts 

I discovered this YouTube challenge from Jessica at Three Rivers Homestead last month.   Her challenge is to preserve (dry, freeze, can) food each day of August.  Although I started late and have started to work full-time again, I am trying my best to put up as much food as possible in August.   So far I have 6 cans of pickled jalapeno peppers, 1 cans of pickled banana, 7 cans of salsa, 3 cans of tomato gravy (AKA sauce), 12 ice cubes of basil, and 1 cup of frozen zucchini.  However, my garden still produces vegetables, so I will continue putting up items through September.   


3- Home Repairs


One of our cars became dented in a parking lot.    If we took it to a garage to fix, the bill would be huge, but my husband and son worked one afternoon to fix the dent and then will touch it up with car paint.   I love that they are so good at problem-solving and working towards a solution. 


4- Packing Lunch Daily 

My colleagues tend to order out a lot, but I am staying strong with bringing my lunch daily.   To make my lunch special, I make one dessert each week and pack a small portion with my lunch.     It helps me to feel like my lunch is special.   


 

5- Price per Serving 

Fresh Fruit and Vegetables get more expensive each month.   I select my snacks and lunch sides by calculating the cost per serving.    The other week, Kroger had watermelon on sale for $3.99.  I can get between 32 and 36 cups of cut watermelon per melon.  This puts the cost per serving at $0.13.   


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My entire year is attached below.    


Here is my list: 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...