Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #59

 The Frugal Five: #59




With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


1- Front Yard Appeal

Your home's curb appeal starts with your front yard.  Keep your lawn mowed and clear of debris and clutter.   Our home has roses planted out front, and when flowering, they are beautiful.  However, when the flowering process is finished, they turn brown and do not look very good, so redhead the plant.   In addition, their leaves are prone to be attacked by bugs making them look bad.  To take care of this situation, I treat the leaves and deadhead the roses.   This will help the roses to rebloom this season.    At the end of the season, you cut the roses back to the ground.   


2- Children’s Art Work 

My son had a ceramics class this past year at school and made several pieces that he didn’t want.    These discarded pieces are cute and look great in the garden.   I added them to different spots along with previously purchased figures to add a little whimsy to our yard.    

  

3- Statues

Last year for my birthday, I picked out a Dancing Lady statue to add to my yard decor at a discount store.  When I put it out last year, I discovered that because it was so light that it blow around the yard.   This year I discovered a hole in the bottom of the statue to add sand or rock to.   It was missing the plug, but a little duct tape worked and no one can tell.     

4- Adding Lights


Adding accent lighting is important to highlight various design elements which elevate the beauty of your home’s exterior.    This year we were able to pick up two strings of lights at a Freight Harbor store which sold them at a very low price point.    Since we have been looking at these particular lights for a while, we knew what a good deal was and jumped at this opportunity.    In addition, we found a few solar spotlights to add to our yard, which light up the front of our home thus creating a safer entrance to our home. 

5- Eating Alfresco



Eating outside among nature elevates a meal.   We enjoy eating our dinners in our screened-in porch area.   We work on adding elements of joy to it each year which helps us to eat at home and enjoy our home more.   


June and July 2023- Living Large in the Cheap Seats is out.   I am excited that our Concerts in the Park series has started.   This area is rich in music.   


Check out all of the free or cheap things to do in the Cincinnati area or just for ideas of where to look for free/cheap things in your area. 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...