Frugal Five: #55

 The Frugal Five: #55




With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


1- Free Chives 

My friend was dividing her chives and offered me a clump for my garden.  Gratefully, I accepted her offer and placed them in my garden bed.   In addition, the chives were ready to be cut and the seeds harvested, so I cut the chives and processed them.   


2- Hanging out the Laundry

Several years ago I calculated the savings for hanging out the laundry and it didn’t amount to much.   However, with the current energy crunch going on in the world, I figure that every little bit helps, so I am hanging out laundry again.   

  

3- Coffee on the Go

My son’s swim practice starts at 6:00 AM→ Yes that is not an error it is in the morning!   Since the kids need to put in the lane lines each morning, we need to get there by 5:45 AM.    Coffee is a must for me in the morning, so instead of purchasing it after I get to the pool, I make sure to take a to go mug of coffee.   This saves me about $5.00 a day.   

4- Free Advice from Experts 

Each summer we select a project to get finished in our home to increase the value over time.   We save all year, so we can pay cash and then talk with the workers to get some ideas for other areas of our home that we can do ourselves.   This year we decided to get our basement seeled because there was evidence of water damage when we purchased it.    This is the first step in finishing our basement which will increase our home’s value by about 10%.   When I was speaking with the workers, they pointed out the exposed drainpipe that is under our driveway and the safety hazard that it is.    In addition, they provided a very inexpensive way to keep the water clear and flowing through the pipe and fix the jagged edges of the pipe.   There solution is easy, inexpensive and will look beautiful.      This project will most likely be done closer to July.   I am so lucky to have such good people surrounding me. 


5- Fruit by the Serving

Usually people look at the price per piece of fruit when making their decision on which fruit to purchase.    I do things a little differently.   I calculate the cost of fruit per serving.    For example, a whole watermelon was on sale this week for $3.99, but it made about 20 servings.   My cost per serving is roughly $0.20 each.   


June and July 2023- Living Large in the Cheap Seats is out.   I am excited that our concerts in the park series has started.   This area is rich in music.   


Check out all of the free or cheap things to do in the Cincinnati area or just for ideas of where to look for free/cheap things in your area. 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frugal Five: #64

The Humble Egg

Frugal Five: 33