Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #49

 The Frugal Five: #49



With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    

.         


1- Haircut Savings

Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.   


2- Beverages from Home 

Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per drink, so by bringing my own tea, I am saving about $1.50 per day.   

  

3- Packing lunch everyday

My colleagues tend to order out multiple times per week.  I did order out one time this year and discovered that the delivery app that they use doubles the cost of my meal.   WOW!   I now pack my lunch every day.   In order to help with the feelings of being left out, I make my lunches a little special each day.    I do this by packing a treat each day, such as a piece of chocolate or baked dessert.   

4- Picking up Free Items from Walgreens 

This week I was able to pick up 6 items for free from Walgreens this week.  Through Walgreens sales, coupons, Walgreens Cash and Register Rewards, I walked out of the store with the following items: 


  1. 2 Degree Deodorants (2.7 oz)- Walgreens RR, Coupon

  2. 2 Crest Toothpaste (3.5 oz)- Walgreens RR, Sale and Coupon

  3. 2 Dove Men’s Body Wash (18 oz)- Walgreen Cash, and Coupon


I have a lot of toothpaste in my closet, so I will be putting together several bags to donate to my community.   

5-  Returned Items that Just Didn’t work for Me.


I ordered several things from Amazon that I thought would be a great purchase, but when the item showed up it wasn’t exactly what I wanted.   Either the item didn’t fit correctly or the size was much smaller than I thought.   I used the free return policy and returned each item.   


Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...