Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #48

 The Frugal Five: #48




With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    

.         


1- Harvested Rosemary

My rosemary plant did not survive the move, and its leaves became dried out.    My husband carefully harvested all of the leaves and now we do not have to purchase rosemary for another year.    Since the gardening season is upon us, so we will either grow another plant by seed or purchase a small plant.    


2- Reused Grocery Store Bags

We try to reuse all items at least 1 additional time before it gets tossed into the trash.     We reuse the grocery store bags at Aldi or our grocery store, carry donates to the Good Will, or as trash bags throughout the house.    

  

3- Caring for Quality Items

We sharpen our knives twice a year, care for our wood cutting boards and marble countertops monthly and maintain the rest of our high-value possessions.     Since we invest in value items, it is important to take care of them, so our cost per year will continue to be reduced as the years go by.    


4- Banana Chip Muffins

 

We had a few bananas that were overripe, so I took the opportunity to turn them into banana chip muffins.     Our church had a Sunday brunch and we signed up to bring pastries. Since, I was already bringing chocolate croissants, so adding a few muffins were nice.          


5-  2 Weeks of Cooking Meals at Home

We slipped into ordering out every week, because I was just too tired to cook dinner after work at least 1 day a week.   I decided to make an effort to cook ALL meals at home for as long as possible.    After all, we spend a lot on food every week and it is important to eat what we invest in instead of wasting it.   I started on April 1st and we are going 14 days strong.    I am looking forward to keeping my streak going for at least 30 days.     


Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...