Lenten Meals- Week 1

 Lenten Meal Ideas


Lent is a religious season which occurs 40 days before Easter and is a time of reflection on your life.   It is a time of fasting and abstinence as a representation of Christ’s 40 day time in the desert.     


Everyone celebrates this season a little differently, but to me it is a time to take stock of your life and determine how you can live a little bit better in the next year.   The fasting and abstinence represents not only Christ’s fasting but reminds me of the struggles of others in our world and what it feels like to be hungry or want for things that I can not have.    Each year I take something different from my experience and humbles me a little bit more.    


Each year I make traditional and non-traditional dishes from around the world in an effort to experience different cultures and how they embrace this season. Come along with me for my journey through the food that I make for my family.   


Week 1

Ash Wednesday: 

Shrimp Tacos

This week Popcorn Shrimp(12oz) was on sale for $3.99 last week, so this is an easy pick for Ash Wednesday.   I’m pairing it with a little coleslaw and grilled peppers and onions for a delicious shrimp taco.   By adding a bag of chips w/ salsa you have a great meal for under $10.00.   As a bonus, there are leftovers. 


First Friday

   

Homemade Pizza

Subtract the pepperoni and add peppers, onion, mushrooms and olives and you have a lenten meal fit for a king.  In 2019, this homemade pizza came in at $2.77 per pie.    Now it is a little more expensive, but it comes in significantly lower than the $20.00 + price tag of a pizza parlor.   


Week 1 is complete and we are coming in strong on our meal planning.   What are your favorite Lenten Meals?   Leave a comment below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frugal Five: #64

Frugal Five: 33

The Humble Egg