Skip to main content

Frugal Five: 33

 The Frugal Five: #33


With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


Last week was a little hard to get anything accomplished, so I needed to give myself grace.   Although I did try to be as frugal as possible, I also needed to keep my life together.    


1- Took advantage of Free-bees this week 


Wow!  I was able to pick up a 3 lb Butterball boneless breast meat turkey, Cranberry Sauce, Brown Gravy, Jiffy Corn Mix and Bob Evans Breakfast Sausage for FREE.    In addition, I was able to pick up free tissues from Meijers.        All in all, a pretty good week for freebies. 


2- Homemade Deli Lunchmeat


I was able to pick up a Large Thanksgiving Turkey for $0.45 lb. and I earned a free 3 lb Butterball boneless turkey breast from IBOTTA.  Last week we spent over $14.00 on deli turkey!  I was motivated to find and unpack my meat slicer.   Then I picked up and cooked a turkey breast.  Finally our family sliced the turkey into deli slices for the freezer.           


3- Picnic Dinner for Travel Swim Meet


Last weekend our family traveled to Kentucky for a swim meet.    Instead of buying fast food which is unhealthy and very expensive, I packed dinner on Saturday and breakfast and lunch for Sunday.      This increased my lunch meat grocery bill, but in the end our expense was much cheaper.      


4- Crock pot Dinner to the Rescue 



On Sunday, we were out all day, but still needed to put dinner on the table.   I popped in the ingredients for a Chicken and Dumpling meal in the morning before we left for the swim meet, placed the crock pot on low for 7 hours and then when we got home added the dumplings.     I added a salad and side vegetable and BOOM!  Dinner is ready.       


5- Use Gas Hacks 

   


We found that gas was over $0.10 per gallon cheaper in Kentucky, so since we needed to travel there for a swim meet, we took advantage of this price difference.   Small changes over time = large rewards.   

 


Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 


Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...