Skip to main content

Summer Salads--> 2025

 


Summer Salad


Grocery Prices are going through the roof with no end in sight!    Using healthy, nutritious, delicious, and inexpensive dining options always reduces your grocery bill.  I accomplish this in the summer by making various salads the star of our dinners.   Vegetables are either grown in the garden or at their rock-bottom price at the grocery store.  Therefore, we eat a lot of different salads over the summer.    


Having salads multiple times per week for dinner provides savings and advantages.   Here are a few benefits I thought of:


  • If you grill the protein(s) in advance, the oven is not turned on. 

  • The salads can be prepared ahead of time, so if you have a busy evening, no need to eat out —> dinner is done. 

  • Adding vegetables to your diet helps to keep you healthy. 

  • By using in-season vegetables from your garden or grocery store, you are saving money on your grocery bill. 


Steak Salad

My first salad is reducing the amount of meat and increasing the salad size as your entree.   


For example, I will make a huge green salad with any picked vegetables from the garden, or found in the refrigerator and top it with protein.   The meat protein portion of this meal is much smaller than if we were to cook 4 oz per person.      Normally, we can get away with 6-8 oz for the entire family.   Top with store-bought or homemade dressing, and dinner is done. 


Black Bean and Corn Salad


This money-saving salad focuses on using beans as the protein source.  I make a black bean and corn salad when we are feeling a little Tex-Mex.    I pair this yummy salad with a vegetarian quesadilla and fruit to complete the meal.  The recipe is linked to the picture. 


Chicken Salad

   

My final money-saving salad focuses on using cheap cuts of meat with onions and celery to stretch the meat.   You guessed it→ chicken salad.    I will pick up a whole chicken or thighs and legs when they go on sale for $0.99 a pound.   Then I will cook it by either baking it or boiling it.  However, when time is tight, I’ll pick up a roasted chicken from Costco for $5.00.    


The next step is to pick the chicken off the bone while it is still warm.   Then I add onions, celery, bell pepper, and sometimes grapes, depending on what I have in the refrigerator.   The next step is to add some mayonnaise and yogurt until the salad is wet, but not too wet.   Finally, I season it with salt and pepper.    This makes a great make-ahead salad for lunches or dinners. 


We eat it as sandwiches, on lettuce wraps, or crackers.    I’ll round out the meal with either chips or soup, depending on the season.   


As a bonus, I save the bones to make chicken stock later. 


TIP→ When using the stove, choose the time of day that is the coolest, such as the morning. 


Leave a comment below and let me know how your garden is growing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...