Crocktober==> French Onion Soup

 


The leaves are turning colors and starting to drop.   In addition, the weather is turning cool and October is Crock Pot Month. So dust off your slow cookers and start using them to help get dinner on the table this month.    


My slow cooker is a big asset and over the fall and winter months, it gets a lot of use.    When it is cold outside I use my slow cooker to make soups, stews, sauces, and one-pot meals.      Since school is in full swing, I can get my dinner going in the morning when I have more time.   Then, dinner is done when I am exhausted and this avoids the desire to eat out.   


Crocktober is a challenge, to use your crock pot every day in October.    Although I will not use my crock pot daily, I will use it more this month and post several recipes.   


Come along for the month and see what is cooking.   


Day 1 

Our first recipe is a delicious French Onion Soup.   A friend shared this recipe with me when I lived in Mississippi.   This soup is delicious and tastes like restaurant-quality soup.  


Ingredients: 

  • 6 large or between 2-3 pounds of onions

  • ½ cup of butter

  • 63 oz of good-quality beef broth

  • 1 ½ tsp. Worcestershire Sauce

  • 3 bay leaves

  • 10 slices of toasted French Bread

  • Shredded Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheese


Directions

  1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until crisp-tender.  

  2. Transfer to an ungreased slow cooker.   Add the broth, Worcestershire Sauce, and bay leaves.  

  1. Cover and cook for 5-7 hours or until the onions are tender.   Discard the bay leaves.   

  2. Portion out the number of servings you want.   Top each serving with bread and cheese.  

Yield=> 10 servings


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Cool Without an AC- Part 5

The Humble Egg

Frugal Five: #73