Skip to main content

Crocktober Day 5--> Sausage Zuppa

 


The leaves are turning colors and starting to drop.   In addition, the weather is turning cool and October is Crock Pot Month. So dust off your slow cookers and start using them to help get dinner on the table this month.    


My slow cooker is a big asset and gets a lot of use over the fall and winter months.    When it is cold outside I use my slow cooker to make soups, stews, sauces, and one-pot meals.      Since school is in full swing, I can get my dinner going in the morning when I have more time.   Then, dinner is done when I am exhausted and this avoids the desire to eat out.   


Crocktober is a challenge, to use your crock pot every day in October.    Although I will not use my crock pot daily, I will use it more this month and post several recipes.   


Come along for the month and see what is cooking.   


Day 5


Our fifth recipe is homemade Zuppa Toscana.  We love Olive Garden’s Tortillini Soup and enjoy it every time we visit the restaurant.    Over the summer I grew a lot of kale for making Zuppa this fall and winter.  


NOTE: The original recipe. 


The modified Recipe is below: 

 

Ingredients: 

1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed

 3 minced garlic cloves

1 large yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 ½ cups)

½ teaspoon kosher salt

¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

4 cups chicken broth

½ cup grated Parmesan, plus more for individual servings

1 large bunch kale, leaves stripped from the stalks and chopped (about 2 cups chopped kale leaves) 


Directions

  1. Crumble and pre-cook sausage.   Drain any grease off of the meat and place in a crockpot. 

  1. Chop Onions and Bacon.   Sautee the onions and garlic until they are fragrant and translucent.  

  1. Place Onions, Garlic, and Bacon in the crockpot. 

  1.  Add Stock and stir. 

  1. Add Kale and cook on high for 3 hours. 

  1. Enjoy with a little Parmesan Cheese.  (It was so good, I didn’t take a picture.--Sorry. )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...