Crocktober Day 2==>Chicken Creole

 


The leaves are turning colors and starting to drop.   In addition, the weather is turning cool and October is Crock Pot Month. So dust off your slow cookers and start using them to help get dinner on the table this month.    


My slow cooker is a big asset and gets a lot of use over the fall and winter months.    When it is cold outside I use my slow cooker to make soups, stews, sauces, and one-pot meals.      Since school is in full swing, I can get my dinner going in the morning when I have more time.   Then, dinner is done when I am exhausted and this avoids the desire to eat out.   


Crocktober is a challenge, to use your crock pot every day in October.    Although I will not use my crock pot daily, I will use it more this month and post several recipes.   


Come along for the month and see what is cooking.   


Day 2

Our second recipe is Chicken Creole from when I lived in Mississippi.  At Christmas, my husband’s advisor would invite the department and spouses to his house for a party.  His wife would make Chicken Creole with rice and it was divine.  


NOTE→ For my husband to enjoy the creole, I make rice and cauliflower rice. 


Ingredients: 

  • 1 ½ cup chopped onions

  • 1 cup chopped celery

  • 2 cloves of garlic minced

  • 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce

  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes

  • 1 can crushed tomatoes

  • 1 can mushrooms

  • 1 cup chicken broth (I add more than 1 cup)

  • 2 tsp parsley

  • ⅛ tsp cayenne red pepper

  • ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper

  • 2 bay leaves

  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken


Directions

  1. Boil Chicken and debone.   Strain broth and save for later.   

  1. Place onion, celery, and garlic in butter or margarine in crock pot.   Stir them and cook on low for 1 hour or until onion is tender.  Remove from heat and place in crockpot.

  1. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth and seasonings.   

  2. Cook in Crockpot on low for 3 hours. 

  3. Add more broth if needed.   Stir in chicken and mushrooms.   

  4. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.   

  5. Serve over rice. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Cool Without an AC- Part 5

The Humble Egg

Frugal Five: #73