Skip to main content

Food Waste 101

 Food Waste

According to Global Reports on Food Crisis, 59 counties or territories have food shortages.    In 2023 the number of people experiencing hunger is up 24 million from the previous year.  In America, we are very focused on the price of food and how inflation has impacted our households’ ability to maintain our budget.    This is causing more people to live paycheck to paycheck which is very uncomfortable, especially for those who have not experienced this level of stress before,       


 In January of 2013, Brad Plumer wrote an article for the Washington Post on food waste in America. At the time, we were wasting $165 billion in food each year.  Most of this comes from restaurants, grocery stores, food production, and farmers which I can not change.    However, I was able to control my household and work towards reducing our food waste.   At the time, Brad reported that American households throw away between 14% and 25% of what they buy.  


 Reference Article:


“How the U.S. manages to waste $165 billion in food each year”

By Brad Plumer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/08/22/how-food-actually-gets-wasted-in-the-united-states/?utm_term=.0cc43f66ad93


Over the years I have become so busy that food waste has crept back into my life.    This is disappointing, but I can start again now and work towards not being wasteful.   I cleaned my refrigerator this weekend and made my meal plan around what was left.   I froze what would not be eaten this week and prepared lunches for the first three days of the week.   This will make my week easier and help us to keep our food rotated.    In addition, I scheduled several leftover nights, so those little bits of food are not wasted.    Finally, the vegetable trimmings, used coffee grounds, or rinsed egg shells, are going to our community compost bin.    


Do you have any ideas on how to reduce food waste?    If so leave a comment below. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...