Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #82

 The Frugal Five: #82


With inflation on the rise and salaries not increasing, our ability to make ends meet keeps going down.    Therefore, we must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


This week I am exploring how to keep costs down during busy weeks.    Keeping dinner on the table instead of eating out is one of my strategies to get the job done.    Here are some of my tips and trips.   


1- Free-Bee Centered Lunches


To lower my stress level, I am starting to pack gourmet lunches.  The other week I got 2 boxes of gourmet mac and cheese for free, so this week I am trying goat cheese mac and cheese for lunch.    Since strawberries are on sale this week, I will part it with strawberries and cut vegetables or a small salad.    


2- New Coffee Shop 


Getting coffee out is very expensive, a cup of coffee will run you between $3 and $4.00.    However, when we take our son to a travel swim event, we try to find a coffee shop with wifi, so we can work.   In exchange, we always purchase coffee and sometimes food depending upon how long we are there.      However, we tried a new coffee shop when visiting Miami University this weekend→ Kofenya Coffee.     We were able to get 2 bottomless coffees for under $5.00→ Yes, I said bottomless.   They use real coffee cups, score 1 for the environment, and we can get some work done while having coffee.    I call this a frugal score. 


3- Road Trip Savings 


We had a travel event to attend on Sunday.     Since my son was swimming only one event, we opted to travel a little later than the rest of the team.   We were able to sleep in two extra hours, which was great considering it was spring ahead this Sunday.   In addition, we ate a full breakfast at home and only needed a place to work for a few hours.   We found a local coffee that had incredible prices and wifi.    As a bonus, the parking meters are free on Sundays.


4- Recreating a Feeling 



Over winter break we took a trip to Hawaii, and I truly enjoyed it.    We were lucky to stay at a high-end resort thanks to my husband’s work travel for most of the trip.   I soaked in all the luxury and am recreating it at home, so I can relive that pampered feeling.    I cleared off our faux fireplace and adjacent built-in bookcases.   Now I am locating various “art” and glassware that we already own to decorate it in a similar style.    We dedicated one shelf for our bar glasses with the bottles being located below in an enclosed area.   Other areas include our son’s artwork from his ceramics class (Primitive Style) and painting from elementary school (sweet and creates a warm feeling).   There is an antique clock from my husband’s family and other antiques to round out this area.     I am amazed it took me so long to display these items instead of just having them packed in a box.   This is just one of my plans to infuse my life with luxury without the price tag.      


5- Planning Summer 


This summer, I am planning on doing a little more of my side hustle→ AKA tutoring, but I also need to recharge my batteries as this year has been brutal at work.       


I am organizing and coordinating the plants for my gardens.   Our community garden group will be planting seeds next week, so I will also be planting seeds for my home beds too.   I have an early spring, summer, and fall planting plan to maximize my yield.   In addition, my husband will be helping out more with the gardening and preserving process.  


In addition, I am investigating various cultural activities to attend and experience in my local area.    So far I have found free concerts, Shakespeare in the Park and so much more.   I find being organized and planning helps get all of my ideas accomplished.   


What Free-bees have you been able to pick up this year?    My entire year is attached below.    


Here is my list: 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 



Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...