Skip to main content

Frugal Summer Tips: #1

 



Plant a Garden


Grocery Prices are going through the roof with no end in sight!    As with any time, food security goes down, and interest in gardening goes up.    However, how do you garden on a budget?    


I went to Lowes and Home Depot to check out their gardening sections and WOW!  The prices are very high.    People who have been gardening for years already have the tools, their ground is conditioned, and they already plant from last year’s seeds.   —> BUT if you haven’t gardened before what are you to do? 


I understand that if you have never gardened before, it can be overwhelming.  My number one tip is to get hooked up with a community gardening group.   They are passionate about gardening and a great resource on how to garden within a budget.    


Since I am new to my area, my garden beds are very small at my home, so I hooked up with a local community gardening group.     Since when I joined, they didn’t have any guest gardener beds left, I added myself to the waiting list for next year.    In addition, I volunteered and worked in the larger community bed which grows vegetables for the local food bank, and got to know the people in the group.   


After a few times, they offered me a few large pots to grow in and I was grateful.    I was planning on making two types of pots.  My first pot was going to be focused on growing the ingredients to make gravy and the second was for salsa.   Our family goes through a great deal of both of these items, so I was excited to do this.    As a bonus, they had some extra plants for each of these pots and they planned on giving them to me.     In addition, if you work in the community bed, you are allowed to pick a few vegetables to take home with you.


However, when one of the original guest gardeners decided that she no longer could care for her bed and put it up for release, they offered the bed to me.   The yearly cost is only $25.00 and the fee includes fresh compost, plants, seeds, pine straw, and water for all seasons.  I feel so lucky to have this opportunity.   


However, this opportunity will not be available to everyone→  I just got lucky.   Here are some of my tips: 


  • Pick up free containers from the recycling bins or use the large discarded cans from restaurants. 

  • Free seeds can be found at Free Seed Libraries, Local Community Garden Groups, Friends, Neighbors, etc. 

  • Compost→ Check out local mushroom farms to see if they will let you have their used soil which is not good for growing mushrooms anymore, but great for vegetables.   

  • Regrow Vegetables from what you buy from the grocery store (e.g. green onions, lettuce, celery, etc)


Robert Greenfield has been turning front yards into gardens for years and has a lot of experience in connecting with the local permaculture groups, finding everything you need to grow food for cheap or free and the knowledge and skills to grow a plethora of food.   


Below is one of his videos that can help you along the way. 


How to turn your yard into a garden


Happy Gardening. 


Leave a comment below and let me know how you are doing with gardening.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...