Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #40

 The Frugal Five: #40


With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


With the New Year upon us, it is time to set goals for how we will be spending our money.    This can look like shopping carefully, DIY projects, wasting less or just doing without.     Let’s see how we can save our pennies this year.   


1-  Free Pizza Punch Card

One of our local pizza parlors has a punch card where when you “purchase” 10 pizzas, you get one free.    We select Tuesdays to pick up our pizza because each pizza will receive 2 punch holes.   This results in us earning a free pizza every 5 pies purchased.   In addition, we pick up the large cheese pizza which is the smallest pizza that will feed our family and earn the punches.   Finally, when we order our “FREE” pizza, we order the Traditional which is the largest pizza that will be free.   In addition, we place as many toppings as we want on that pizza.   


2- Haircut Bargains 

Our haircuts range from $30 (boys) and $115 (women’s color), so being strategic in our grooming habits is important.    First, my husband’s hair is easy to cut, so we cut his hair at home.   This saves us $30 twice a month.    In addition, my son gets his haircut 1 time a month, because that is what he wants. Finally, I stretch my hair appointments by 1 week which results in only going 9 times per year instead of 11, a savings of $230.   In addition, my hairdresser has specials several times per year where you get $10 for every $100 gift card you purchase.    In addition, every 10 visits you earn $50 towards your next visit.    Finally, if you schedule in advance, you are entered into a drawing for a free gift.   I haven’t won yet, but I get a chance each time I go.   


3- Waste Reduction 

Kitchen waste is incredibly high in America and with the prices of groceries exploding in the past year, it is important that we are mindful of this situation.   Each week I take inventory of what I have in my refrigerator and freezer before I Meal Plan.   This permits me to use what I have first, buy items at rock bottom prices, stay on budget, and reduce how much food I throw away.   For example, if I see that we haven’t eaten the blueberries I purchased last week, I might make blueberry pancakes or muffins for breakfast. I sometimes freeze the item to extend the life of the food.     


4- Eat Vegetarian at least 1 time a week 

Meat prices are climbing up at a quick rate and egg prices are outrageous in our area.    In order to keep our food budget down, we will eat vegetarian at least 1 time per week.   Some meals include: pasta, sandwiches, vegetarian chili, bean and cheese enchiladas or stir fried rice.   

NOTE: Price per Serving is based on 2020 prices. 

5-  Treats from Work

This past week our Parents Association provided a treat for all of the teachers.   I  was happy to select a few items to enjoy.    In addition, I saved one of the snacks for the next week.   In addition, people will bring in breakfasts or cakes to celebrate various days (e.g. counselors week, birthdays, etc.), I always participate.   In addition, I select an item to bring in on occasion to give to others such as a breakfast cake, muffins or brownies.    Each of these items are easy to pick up in box form at the grocery store when they go on sale and save for when it is your turn to donate.  This week, I pulled out two breakfast foods and brought them for counselors' week. 

 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 


Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...