Skip to main content

Lenten Meals- Week 2

 Lenten Meal Ideas


Lent is a religious season which occurs 40 days before Easter and is a time of reflection on your life.   It is a time of fasting and abstinence as a representation of Christ’s 40 day time in the desert.     


Everyone celebrates this season a little differently, but to me it is a time to take stock of your life and determine how you can live a little bit better in the next year.   The fasting and abstinence represents not only Christ’s fasting but reminds me of the struggles of others in our world and what it feels like to be hungry or want for things that I can not have.    Each year I take something different from my experience and humbles me a little bit more.    


Each year I make traditional and non-traditional dishes from around the world in an effort to experience different cultures and how they embrace this season. Come along with me for my journey through the food that I make for my family.   


Week 2

Friday

   


Panera Copycat Mac and Cheese


This is one of our favorite Lenten Meals.    It is easy to make and can be made ahead of time.   I just pair it with a huge salad and dinner is served.   One of the best things about this meal is that my son loves it and never complains.   


Let’s talk price:   I can always pick up pasta for under $1.00 during stock up sales and when Cracker Barrel Vermont Cheddar went on sale a few weeks before Lent, I took advantage and picked up a few blocks.   In addition, I already have milk, flour, mustard,hot sauce and American Cheese on hand to round out the recipe, so no extra cost here.    It is a little more than the blog’s post because food prices have gone up over the last few years, but it is still a winner for a low cost meal.    


Week 2 is complete and we are coming in strong on our meal planning.   What are your favorite Lenten Meals?   Leave a comment below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...