Skip to main content

Frugal Five: #36


The Frugal Five: #36


With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


With the New Year upon us, it is time to set goals for how we will be spending our money.    This can look like shopping carefully, DIY projects, wasting less or just doing without.     Let’s see how we can save our pennies this year.   


1-  Free-Bees and Samples 

This week I was able to pick up 8X10 Photo, 4 Core Bars. 3 Nivea Body Wash (20 oz), 2 Icy Hot Lotions (3 oz) and Violife Cream Cheese (7.5 oz) from various stores.    In addition, I request samples from time to time and my Advil Dual Action Sample arrived this week.    That is 11 full size free items and 1 sample.   This is pretty good for the week.   


2- Car Pooling and Using the School Bus 

My son has practice everyday and meets on the weekend.   With gas prices and time restraints the way they are, it would be challenging for us to get him to and from practice and school.   Therefore, we carpool with a teammate who lives down the road.  My husband picks the kids up on his way home from work.    In addition, since my son is on the high school team, he is permitted to ride the bus to/from swim meets and practices.    We are fortunate that his practice is at the same location as his club team, so when there is an issue with our carpool, he can take the bus to practice.   


3- Haircut Savings

Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge savings!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average we save $60 per month on just his hair cuts.   


4- Using IBOTTA and My Points

   

Last week I cashed out my IBOTTA and MyPoints accounts, so this week I started to use this apps again to earn money for the holidays.   Slow and steady wins the race.    I only buy items that are free or items that I would have purchased anyway.    For example, my son eats protein bars during swim meets and these can get expensive.   However, this week I was able to pick up 4 Core Bars for free because I could use a coupon and IBOTTA.   In addition, I spend 5-15 minutes a day answering questions and/or filling out surveys for My Points to earn points which can be turned into gift cards.                 


If you don’t have IBOTTA, I highly recommend you download the app.   If you use my referral code, we both earn $10 with your first rebate.   Here is my referral code: yasucyr .  


My Points allows me to spend about 5-15 minutes per day completing polls, surveys, computer searches or uploading receipts and earn about $150-$200 per year.   If you are interested in joining up for this opportunity, here is my referral information:   https://www.mypoints.com?rb=25406148


5- Packed Lunches Everyday 

   

Buying lunch everyday gets expensive not only in money but time.   We packed everyone’s lunch this week.   It only took a few minutes each morning to do this and we were rewarded with delicious lunches each day. 

 

Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 


Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...