Skip to main content

The Frugal Five: #29

 The Frugal Five: #29


With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.    


Last week was a little hard to get anything accomplished, so I needed to give myself grace.   Although I did try to be as frugal as possible, I also needed to keep my life together.    


1- Haircut Savings

Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge savings!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average we save $60 per month on just his hair cuts.   


In addition, my salon is offering a special on gift cards this month.   Purchase $100 in gift cards and get $20 free.    Since my hair color/cut runs about $120 per month with tip, this is a 17% savings.    I picked up several gift cards this month.    In addition, for every 10 visits, I get a $50 gift card, so I am tracking this too.   This month my hair stylist had an emergency and at the last minute she canceled my appointment, but I had already driven to the salon.    The salon provided me with another stylist and a 30% discount for my trouble which is about $30.00.   Finally, I’m stretching my hair appointments out by 1 week which saves me 3 appointments per year or $360.00.  



2- Taking Advantage Coupons and Perks



Meijers gave me a $5.00 coupon off groceries for just trying their store the other week.    They had a great price on chuck roast this week, so I picked up a roast and used the coupon towards the bill.    In addition, I utilized my coupons and rebate apps to pick up several energy bars, granola and Jimmy Dean Sausage.   


3- Swimming Meet Snacks



This week started the competition season for my son’s swimming.   Eating out or just picking up snacks when out is very expensive, so I packed a few items and we are set every time.     We pick heather options to fuel our bodies and when others are spending tons of money.   


4- Freeze Tomatoes from the Garden


Prior to the frost, I picked all of the remaining tomatoes from the garden.    When they were ripe, I cut them up and placed them into the freezer.   I was able to preserve 8 cups of tomatoes.    These will be great for chili, soups and tomato gravy.       

 


5- Ice Tea vs. Soda


Soda prices are very expensive and we got into the habit of taking a soda everyday for lunch.    This week, I made an effort to make ice tea at home which is a fraction of the cost for soda and pack a thermos of tea everyday for lunch.    


Do you want to see what we did last week?   

Just click on the picture for the link. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...