Skip to main content

Frugal Five- #15

 The Frugal Five

With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily or weekly activities that help us to live a frugal life.    



1- Meal Planning 

We have been a little relaxed on the meal planning and as a result, our eating out habit has returned.     This week I am determined to eat at home all week.    I inventoried what we had left over from last week, and built a meal plan around that.   This week's game plan- easy and simple meals.      


2- Strategizing Meals for the Weekend

We had another swim meet this weekend and it was over meal times, so we packed drinks, breakfast, and lunch again.     Since we need to get up so early and swim meets can be exhausting, we do not feel like cooking dinner when we get home.    This weekend, I planned ahead and gave my crock pot a workout.    I prepared the ingredients on Friday night for both Saturday and Sunday, then all I needed to do in the morning was dump & go.    Given how expensive eating out is, we saved quite a bit of money by doing this.     


3- Coffee at Home


Given out swim practice is at 6:30 AM, it is vital that I have my coffee.    However, Starbucks is still over $3.00 per Vente.   My solution is to bring my Yeti mug filled with hot coffee.   This mug will keep my coffee hot for over an hour in the cool morning air and I don’t have the expense of a Starbucks run.         


4- Unpacking more Boxes 

Instead of running out and buying more things, I just keep unpacking our moving boxes.    Although some days I don’t go through any boxes, most days I get through 1-3 boxes.   For example, my son is going on his annual camping trip and the movers didn’t label his camping gear.   He started to panic and wanted to buy more gear, but we continued to go through boxes until we found his backpack, sleeping bag, hammock, mess kit, flashlight, first aid kit, and more.  He is ready for his camping trip and we didn’t buy anything new.         


5- Use of a Drying Rack 

We had a drying rack from our previous home, but because of the HOA, we weren’t allowed to use it.    Well, NOT anymore.   We currently do not have an HOA and the drying rack is in full use this summer.  Swim towels get used more than once which reduces their wear and tear, laundry loads, and the expense of drying them in the dryer.    


Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...