Skip to main content

Frugal Five- #7

 The Frugal Five

With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily or weekly activities that help us to live a frugal life.    



1- Save on Gas

I noticed my gas tank was very low and needed gas.   I checked the Gasbuddy app to see the price points for my local gas stations.   Since all of the stations were the same price, I selected the station that accepted my Kroger gas points.     WOW!  I was able to save $0.50 per gallon.    This came to a savings of $9.00.     


2- Grocery Budget: Build a Pantry 

Each week I try to keep $10.00 aside to build my pantry.    By checking the sales each week and investing in our pantry.  Through this habit, I am able to build my pantry when items are at their lowest price.    For example, last week, I took advantage of a Meijer deal that provided me with 12 large boxes of tissues for just $8.84 or $0.73 each.   


As a result, my pantry has grown over time while maintaining my budget.   


3- Hygge: Enjoyed the Gas Fireplace 

March and April have been unusual weather months for us.   Some days it would be warm and spring-like, but recently we have had several days of snow and hail.   On the cold days, I enjoyed our gas fireplace and the warmth that it provided.   


4- Cooking- Mexican Street Corn Chowder


On Sunday I made a huge pot of Mexican Street Corn Chowder and enjoyed taking it for lunch each day this week.   This made for a quick and hearty lunch.    This frugal dinner provided me with a family dinner and 5 individual lunches.     


5- Drinks to Go….. 

  

This week I took a little extra time each day to pack a travel mug of coffee and a lunch drink each day to take to work.    Given that coffee costs between $2.00 and $5.00 at Starbucks, I estimate that I saved about $10.00 by just taking my coffee each day.  In addition, if I needed to purchase a drink at work, my only choice was to purchase a soda for $2.00.   


Please leave a comment below with your ways of saving money this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...