Skip to main content

Frugal Five- #1

 The Frugal Five

With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate our daily or weekly activities that help us to live a frugal life.    



1- Eat Leftovers 

On Sunday, I made a huge pot of potato soup and portioned it out for lunches.   I paired it with a green salad and enjoyed a healthy and economical lunch all week.    I call that a Win-Win.   


2- Make your coffee at home


Each day we have a large cup of coffee in the morning.    Instead of going to Starbucks to get a Vente cup of coffee, we make it at home.    The combination of buying Starbucks coffee on sale for about $7.00 a pound and making it at home instead of picking it up at a store, saves us a ton of money each year.   


3- Travel with a Water Bottle


Each morning I fill a large water bottle with ice and take it with me to work.  I am able to fill it up with filtered water at school and it keeps me hydrated all day.   As a bonus, I am able to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day which helps me to live a healthier life.   


4- Making a Scarf


I found beautiful green yarn in my stash and started crocheting a new scarf for winter.   This free activity has kept me busy and I am creating a lovely, warm addition to my winter wardrobe.     


5- Car Pool 


We carpool with 2 other families, so we only have to drive to/from practice 2 times a week.    This saves a lot of time, money and reduces our carbon footprint by 2/3rds.  


These things are simple and easy to implement each day and/or week, so it doesn’t take much effort to implement these strategies.    However, the benefits to your life will be significant.      


Do you have any frugal strategies to share?    

Please leave a comment below.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...