Skip to main content

Banana Nut Bread

 

Are you bananas over-ripened?    

Do you think you have to throw them away?


In this situation, I will either freeze them or make banana bread.    If I happen to have walnuts in my freezer, I will add them to the mix.     This makes a delicious breakfast or snack for the week. 

 

I started making this delicious sweet bread from the Betty Crocker Cookbook.    The recipe below is an adaptation of that recipe.  If you would like to use the original recipe, it is linked to the cookbook. 

Ingredients


  • 3/4 cup of sugar

  • ⅓ cup of margarine

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 2/3 cups of mashed bananas (3-4 medium) 

  • ⅓ cup of water

  • 1 ⅔ - 2 cup(s) of all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • ½ teaspoon salt

  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder

  • ½ cup chopped walnuts

  • ⅓ cup of chocolate chips or dried cranberries (optional)

Directions

 

 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease bread loaf pan.   Mix together butter and sugar until fluffy.  

 

 

  1. Stir in 2 eggs until blended. 

 

 

  1. Add bananas and water until mixed. 

 

 

  1. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder and mix until combined.   

 

 

  1. Finally, add the walnuts and hand stir them into the batter as to not break them up. 

 

 

  1. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 60-75 minutes depending upon your oven.   Test with a toothpick or butter knife until it comes out clean.    

 

 

  1. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes in the loaf pan, remove from loaf pan, and cool bread to room temperature on a cooling rack before wrapping.   

 

 

Serving Suggestions: 

 

  • Serve a slice of banana bread with a hot cup of tea and enjoy a cozy, treat after a long day at work. 

 

  • Serve with your coffee in the morning for a delicious breakfast alternative. 

 

  • Pack a slice in your lunch box and enjoy a treat at lunch. 

 

Give the recipe a try and let me know how you like it?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...