Skip to main content

2021 Word of the Year- HYGGE

 

Hygge (hoo gah) is my word of the year for 2021.   The world has been moving out of control for all of 2020.   People have endured financial, health and emotional issues unlike in our lifetimes.  I have chosen this word because it encompasses a way of life that slows us down, focuses on what really matters and helps us to enjoy contentment with far less.  


Hygge, or well-being originated from Norway, but the Danish adopted this word and transformed it into a way of life that produces a life of happiness and contentment.   


Hygge is hard to describe in a single sentence or descriptive manner.   I find that Hygge is a mindset and a way of life that  embarrasses the simple pleasures in life and seeking to increase them which results in increased happiness.    

Hygge experiences can be…. 


  • Watching the sunrise or sunset and appreciating the beauty of the colors, the crisp air and getting lost in nature.   

  • Drinking a hot cup of tea or coffee being present in the moment.    

  • Picking up a good book and reading it. 

  • Slow cooked meal shared with people you care about. 

  • And so much MORE!



Is Hygge expensive? 

Many of the simple pleasures in life are free or of very low cost.   However, as with anything else, you can choose a more costly activity or products.   It is up to you to choose what you do and how much you spend.    I tend to gravitate towards enjoying activities that are of low cost or free and I am planning on getting creative and increasing my level of contentment and joy in 2021.  


What are the simple pleasures that you like and would like to invest the time to enjoy this year?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...