Skip to main content

Free Donuts- What?

National Donut Day is June 5th. 

National Donut Day started in 1938 by the Salvation Army as a way to thank
the “donut lassies”.  A “donut lassie” was a female volunteer who would give
treats to the solders on the front lines during World War I as a morale booster. 
The Salvation Army still participates in National Donut Day, but now requests
donations which go towards providing the following programs:  food pantries,
meals on wheels, senior citizen feeding programs and childcare nutrition
programs.

From my experience, on National Donut Day, you can score free donuts at
various locations using their deals.   I have gotten donuts from Meijers, Krispy
Kreme and Dunkin Donuts over the years.  We always take a group and are
prepared to wait in a long line to pick up our donut.    The wait is also part of
the fun: waiting, giggling, talking and watching the donuts being made.  
However this year, we will need to socially distance and be careful to ensure
everyone’s safety, so we will be using the drive through.      

National Donut Day is Jun 5th.   However, Krispy Kreme has changed from 1
day of free donuts to 5 days!   June 1 to June 5th!  I think they are trying to
give everyone a chance to receive a free donut, but also recognize that this is
a very crowded situation and the drive through will be very clogged.   If you are
choosing to participate in this event, please be respectful and responsible.    
Treat everyone with kindness, courtesy and patience.    

Krispy Kreme- 1 free donut per person

Last Year the following businesses also had free donuts, but I am unsure if
they will participate in the tradition this year.   

Walmart
Dunkin Donuts 
Meijers
Duck Donuts

If you find a place that is responsibly providing a free donut during this time,
please leave a comment below.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...