Skip to main content

Baked Buffalo Wings- $0.77 each





I love Buffalo Wings!  However, I like to lighten up the recipe whenever I make it at home, so we
bake instead of frying them.  I came across a reduced calorie recipe in a magazine (unfortunately I
don’t know the name of the magazine.)  a while ago and have modified it to our families tastes.  


Ingredients
13 Chicken Wings 
Cooking Spray 
½ Tsp. Black Pepper
½ Tsp. Salt
½ Tsp. Cayenne Pepper 
2 Tablespoons of water
1 Tablespoon of Franks Hot Sauce or homemade
2 Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar



Steps
1. Mix the spices to create a rub.
2. Spray the broiler pan with cooking spray. 
3. Pat dry the chicken wings and then rub on the seasoning. 
4. Place on broiler (4 inch) meat side down for 20 minutes or no longer pink.  
5. Turn after 10 minutes
6. While chicken is under the broiler, make sauce. 
7. In saucepan, heat water pepper sauce and vinegar for 1-2 minutes.  Brush over chicken wings
and serve. 
Serving Suggestions: Serve with Celery, Carrots and Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing. 


~ Savings ~


Cost Breakdown:

Regular Shopping 


13 Chicken Wings ($9.79 for 2 ½ lb) = $9.79
Cooking Spray 
½ Tsp. Black Pepper
¼  Tsp. Salt
½ Tsp. Cayenne Pepper 
2 Tablespoons of water= Free
1 Tablespoon of Franks Hot Sauce or homemade = $0.17
2 Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar ($1.19 for 16 oz) = $0.03
** Estimate on the spices: $0.02


Total Recipe Cost = $10.01
Cost per Wing = $0.77


The Contender:
Kroger deli Wings 
Cost Per Pound= $7.99 or $19.98 for 2 ½ pounds


TGIF Buffalo Chicken Wings (15 oz) = $5.69
Cost Per Pound= $6.07 or $15.18 for 2 ½ pounds


"Over a Year" Scenario:

Homemade Chicken Wings 4 X per year =  $40.04
Kroger Chicken Wings 4 X per year = $79.92


*Money Saved = $39.88


NOTE: I normally pick up my chicken wings on sale for $5.99 for a 2 ½ pound bag, so the price will
be significantly cheaper.   If the wings are picked up on sale, the price drops to $6.21 or $24.84 for
the year with a savings of $55.08.

What are your favorite things to make for parties? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...