Skip to main content

Linen Napkins are Making a Comeback

Linen Napkins are Making a Comeback.




Going Green- 1 Step @ a Time


Several years ago our family started eating a clean diet because of some health issues.  We
accomplished this 1 tiny step at a time. We started off with 1 meal and then expanded it
each week with 1 meal, snack or replacement item.  Eventually we were able to really clean
up our diet and even if we fall off the wagon, we can get back on again quickly. This
process I hope will also apply to our desire to live a more sustainable and green lifestyle.
Come along for our journey.


As a person who loves to hunt for beautiful things and even more so when I can find them at
rock bottom prices, I always look at the discount sections in all the places I shop.  The other
week, I happen to be shopping at Kroger and had just checked out when I spied a cashier
marking down items. In the cart, I saw 2 packages of linen napkins. The first packet had a
beautiful grey strip and the second had a lovely blue/green strip.  Each package had 6
napkins. In addition, this find only set me back $0.70 per pack for a total of $1.40 or $0.12
each.




Not only do these napkins elevate our tablescape, but it helps to keep paper napkins out of
the landfills.  We use approximately 1 napkin per day per person, so our family throws out
21 napkins per week. By switching to linen napkins, we just use them and toss them into
washing machine along with our regular laundry (no extra cost or environmental impact) and
can use them over and over again.  I know it seems like a very small step, but a thousand
step journey begins with just 1 step. Let’s travel together and see how far we can go in
helping to reduce our waste, reuse our current items, recycle what we can and help the
Earth to heal itself.

What tiny steps have you taken to become for environmentally aware or sustainable?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...