Classic White/Wheat Bread ($.52 per loaf)

Classic White/Wheat Bread ($.52 per loaf)


When I was moving into my first apartment, my mom bought me my first cookbook.  The red covered
Betty Crocker Cookbook. It was this cookbook that started me on my journey to learn how to cook
and maintain a grocery budget.  Admittedly at first I was not very good at it, but eventually it became
easier and I started to stretch out and experiment with recipes outside my comfort zone.  

Below is my modified Traditional “white” Bread Recipe, but in honor of its roots here is the link to the
original recipe:

Ingredients
2- 2½  cups all-purpose flour
½ cup wheat flour
1 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 cups very warm water (120°F to 130°F)

Steps
1. Sift 2 ½  cups all purpose and ½ cup wheat flour with the salt  in large mixing bowl.


2. Place yeast and sugar in the warm water to proof. (Tip: Mix warm water and sugar first.  This will
produce a better response by the yeast.)

3. Combine oil, yeast mixture, and dry ingredients.  Then mix with a dough hook until it comes
together in a ball.  


4.  I let the mixer continue to mix for about 4-5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.  


5. I form a ball with the dough and place in a greased bowl turning the ball so all sides have grease
on them.  Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes or the dough doubles.



6. Place dough on a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes.  Then roll into a log shape that
fits into your greased loaf plan (9x5x3 or 8 1/2x4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches).

7. Place dough into greased pan and let rise for another 60 minutes.

8. Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Preheat oven to
425°F.
9. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until loaf is deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove
from pans to wire rack. Brush loaves with butter (if desired); cool.


My family loves it when I make the time to bake my wheat bread.  We enjoy it in sandwiches, french
toast, croutons, or any other way we would normally use sandwich bread.  If you haven’t tried
making your own bread, then give it a try and let me know how it turns out.


~ Savings ~
Cost Breakdown:

Regular Shopping
2 ½  cups all-purpose flour ($1.79 for 5 lb or 16 cups) = $0.28
½ cup wheat flour ($1.99 for 5 lb or 16 cups) = $0.06
1 tablespoons sugar ($1.89 for 4 lbs or 144 Tablespoons) = $0.02
1 tsp. Salt (.49 for 26 ounces or 129 teaspoons) = $0.01
1 tablespoons oil ($2.19 for 48 oz or 96 Tablespoons) = $0.02
1 tablespoon dry yeast  ($2.99 for 4 oz or 13 Tablespoons) = $0.13
1 cups very warm water (120°F to 130°F)= $0.00

Total Recipe Cost = $0.52
Cost per loaf of bread = $0.52

The Contender:
Kroger Pan Bread
Cost Per Loaf= $1.99

Savings:
Regular Shopping=$1.47 or 73%

"Over a Year" Scenario:

General Shopping
Homemade White/Wheat Bread 1 X per week or 52 X per year = $27.04
Kroger Pan Bread 1 X per week or 52 X per year = $103.48

*Money Saved = $76.44

I know that making bread can be a little intimidating, but it is easy to master with a little
practice. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frugal Five: #64

Frugal Five: 33

The Humble Egg