Skip to main content

Frugal Friday- February 8, 2019


Making small changes that have big results.

On Friday’s I share 5 frugal ideas to help you maintain The Sweet Life on a Budget.
 These things will have money saving ideas and/or a way to enhance your lifestyle for
very little money.


Started to plan my kitchen garden.  Our public library has a seed collection that people
can “borrow” AKA getting seeds for free starting in February.  I have organized the
green house location for growing my seeds in February. Hmm. I think I’m getting
Spring Fever.  
Leftover Seeds from Last Year


Experiment- Save Seeds from last year


Stockpiling Items-  This week our Kroger store had a $3.00 off of 6 items and some
items were quite a bargain.  So I took advantage of my MUST larger food budget this
week and cashed in. Pasta was at my stock up price and I picked up 6 of them for
$3.00.  Cheese was on sale for $3.00 for a pound, but wait--- I also had a coupon for
$1.00 off. That lowered the price to $2.00 for a pound. This will last us at least 2
weeks.  
Compared prices for vitamins and discovered a much better deal than usual.  I was able
to get my husband’s vitamins on sale (BOGO) with the price being $2.00 less than our
usual brand and the number of days each bottle provides is much higher.  This was a
great find.


Weekend Entertainment-  I stopped by the library during my errand run to pick up a
few movies for the family to watch and a book or 2 to read.  Unfortunately, they are
resurfacing their floors, so the movies were not available. It is a good thing that we are
flexible and have a few things in our back pocket.  We already purchased a Trampoline
Park Card over a year ago at a discount, so we went with a friend and had no out of
pocket money needed. In addition, we were able to use our Amazon Prime and Roku
to stream movies to watch.  


We returned items that we didn’t use when redo our bathroom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Bean and Corn Salad--> $0.44 per Serving

  Black Bean and Corn Salad This recipe comes from Pennies & Pancakes.   Unfortunately, this blog is no longer active, so I am not sure how much longer we will have access to her recipes.    Here is the link:   Black Bean and Corn Salad.   Therefore, I am repeating her recipe below, because it is just that good.  Makes 7 Cups  Ingredients:  2 15 oz. cans low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed) 1 15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed) 1 red bell pepper (diced) 1/3 cup red onion (finely diced) 2 scallions (finely diced) 2 cloves garlic (minced) 1/3 cup diced cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice (Or the juice of 2 limes) 1 tsp salt *opt. 1 small jalepeno (minced) Directions:  Open and rinse both the black beans and the whole-kernel corn.   Then place them into a bowl.  Next, cut up the pepper and onion.   Add it to the bowl.  Finely chop the cilantro and scallions,  and mince the garlic to add t...

The Frugal Five: #49

  The Frugal Five: #49 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     .          1- Haircut Savings Since haircuts are $30 per cut plus tip, each time my husband asks me to cut his hair, I am happy to.    This is a huge saving!   He gets his hair cut every other week, so on average, we save $60 per month on just his haircuts.    2- Beverages from Home  Each day I make coffee and take a travel mug with me to work.   In addition, I make homemade tea to pack for my lunch.    Since Starbucks’ coffee prices have gone up, my daily savings for my daily coffee has increased to about $5.75 per day.    In addition, sodas at work run about $2.00 per...

The Frugal Five: #46

  The Frugal Five: #46 With inflation on the rise and our salaries not being able to keep up, it seems like we have taken a pay cut and must be more careful with our money.   The Frugal Five is a series where we celebrate the daily or weekly activities that help us live a frugal life.     This week I focused on garden frugal ideas and savings.  Gardens take a lot of work and can take a chunk of cash.   Let's see how we can keep the price down and get the same results.          1- Free Seeds  How can we get free seeds and when do we start planting for the spring?   Previously, I was able to pick up seeds from my local library through a seed-sharing program.   However, since we moved, my local library doesn’t participate in this type of program.     Therefore, I looked for other opportunities to secure free seeds.   I found the Free Seed Project.  Through this ...